Got Diamond Questions?
Our community of diamond experts are here to provide answers
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

"conflict" diamonds

Guest Guest

Hi I'm in the market for a diamond ring for my girlfriend-soon-to-be-fiancee. I am concerned that when i purchase it not be one of these conflict diamonds that people are losing their lives over. is there anything in the g.i.a. certificate or elsewhere that __guarantees___ the origin of the diamond? I guess i'm a buyer with a conscience but i don't want my hard-earned dollars to go to some guerilla.

There is a lot of talk in the industry at this time about the "conflict diamonds". I'll briefly explain what they are; please feel free to add more.

Most diamond rough comes from a large mining company named DeBeers (this is the same company that advertises heavily everywhere). However, over the past few years some guerrillas, particularly in Sierra Leone and also some in Colombia, have seized diamond mines and have attempted to sell the diamonds on their own in the open market in order to finance their military activities. These are the so-called "conflict" diamonds.

The jewelry industry is very concerned about this for several reasons:

1. "Conflict" diamonds are sold at a much lower price and therefore create an unfair cost advantage against someone who deals in legitimate diamonds.

2. They believe in the beauty and value of diamonds, and do not want them associated with guerrilla activities (which would drop consumer demand)

To get back to Doug's question, there is nothing in a g.i.a. certificate that guarantees the origin of a diamond. However, as a consumer, you have the right to demand that your diamond be a non-conflict diamond. In doing so, you are not only keeping your dollars from financing guerrilla activities, but also helping the jewelry industry.

Any comments, discussion, and further info are welcome.

Cheryl