The search is over!

f0rbidden

ok, for those of you who already know from the other boards, this is my rare chance to shine B))

i found my diamond! yeah!

My husband and I ventured to the diamond district in NYC yesterday and despite his having received a not-so-lovely parking ticket, we found the most amazing stone.

Emerald cut, 0.97 carat, D color, VVS2 clarity, GREAT sparkle and shine, excellent cut - BEAUTIFUL!!!!! we were so very happy!! I originally wanted to hit the 1carat mark, but this stone was just amazing!

and, the setting is going to be customized with some hand engraving, which I love, and has some filigree work, which I also love!

It's on layaway, so it's going to be a bit before I'll have it in hand, but I'll be sure to post pictures!

ok, for those of you who already know from the other boards, this is my rare chance to shine B))

i found my diamond! yeah!

My husband and I ventured to the diamond district in NYC yesterday and despite his having received a not-so-lovely parking ticket, we found the most amazing stone.

Emerald cut, 0.97 carat, D color, VVS2 clarity, GREAT sparkle and shine, excellent cut - BEAUTIFUL!!!!! we were so very happy!! I originally wanted to hit the 1carat mark, but this stone was just amazing!

and, the setting is going to be customized with some hand engraving, which I love, and has some filigree work, which I also love!

It's on layaway, so it's going to be a bit before I'll have it in hand, but I'll be sure to post pictures!

Ummm....layaway? You went shopping for a diamond BEFORE you could afford to buy it outright?

ummm.. yes.

we did.

i'll never be able to buy a diamond ring outright. this is the perfect solution - interest free financing B))

I'm all for interest free financing, as long as I get the merchandise first. When Ford was offering 0% financing for 3 years on new Mustangs, my father bought one (late-mid-life crisis I guess) and paid off the balance at the end of the 3 years. In the interim, he made roughly 33% on the dealership's money. Not a bad way of doing business.

As for diamonds, I guess you should try whatever way you can afford the one you want, as long as you aren't sacrificing sound financial policy (e.g., retirement planning, kids college education, etc...)

Congratulations on finding the diamond you wanted.

Wow Jay, you sure are fixated on money..

f0rbidden, congratulations on being thrilled with your diamond.. I have always said, and always will, jewelry is meant to be enjoyed.. No one should ever have to 'settle' for jewelry that they are not totally thrilled with.. And that means different things to different people..

Here's hoping to you getting to enjoy it for many years to come.. And now, we dance!!

http://www.feydakin.com/images/dancing.gif

Wow Jay, you sure are fixated on money..

f0rbidden, congratulations on being thrilled with your diamond.. I have always said, and always will, jewelry is meant to be enjoyed.. No one should ever have to 'settle' for jewelry that they are not totally thrilled with.. And that means different things to different people..

Here's hoping to you getting to enjoy it for many years to come.. And now, we dance!!

http://www.feydakin.com/images/dancing.gif

Yes, I am fixated on money. Why? Because that's how you can afford to buy diamonds. Without money, buying diamonds becomes a bit more difficult.

Just curious, but would you recommend buying a diamond before funding your retirement accounts, saving for your kid(s) college education, paying off credit card bills, saving for a downpayment on a house, etc...?

I guess it all comes down to priorities. Then again, I've met several women who had to sell their jewelry when their husbands lost their jobs...

interesting that you would ask those things, most people consider funding their retirement accounts to be an ongoing thing - myself included, same with most college accounts - ongoing, not a lump sum kind of thing.

As for saving for the house downpayment - yeah, the diamond came first. Why? Because where I live it's a LOT more attainable and waiting 3 more months for the house isn't going to matter - sometimes it's being able to attain a goal - ANY goal - that keeps us motivated towards the next one.

I think that you're right in that it's a matter of priorities, but I also think that spending one's life worrying about money doesn't really leave much room for living, does it?

oh wait! i wanted to add one more thing.

gee..ever wonder what the men sell when their WIVES loose their jobs?

because surely in this day and age we can't assume that men are always the primary income source of a family - right? B)

ok. i feel better now.

Look, your priorities are just that -- yours. They're not mine, and for the most part, they're not likely those of wealthy or even financially-comfortable people. Diamonds are a luxury item. Having enough in retirement (or even being able to retire while you're still relatively young to enjoy retirement) isn't a luxury -- it's a necessity.

As for what men need to sell when life hits the skids, I've seen houses, BMWs, boats, motorcycles, big screen TVs, etc... all sold at firesale prices. Also, to address your final point, for the most part men are still seen by society (and in reality are) the primary income source of a family.

P.S. Wouldn't it have made sense to take the subway into NYC, rather than drive a car and receive a $50+ parking ticket for your troubles? That money could have been used to pay for your ring...

you know what..

I've written and rewritten several posts to tell you off, but finally decided you aren't worth it.

What we do - or don't do - is really none of your business. That's the bottom line.

I never asked your opinion on the matter, nor do I intend to.

Frankly, I don't really care what you think.

you know what..

I've written and rewritten several posts to tell you off, but finally decided you aren't worth it.

What we do - or don't do - is really none of your business. That's the bottom line.

I never asked your opinion on the matter, nor do I intend to.

Frankly, I don't really care what you think.

Then why did you post your initial message? You clearly wanted someone's opinion (obviously now, you're not happy with mine). I didn't really want to know your business, but you're the one who posted it for all to see.

As for trying to tell me off, the truth hurts, doesn't it? You bought a diamond you couldn't afford. Congratulations truly are in order. :rolleyes:

you are WAY out of line here

so just back off.

I NEVER ASKED YOUR OPINION

i posted to SHARE my findings, not sure if you've noticed this, but that's what we tend to DO here.

i don't know who you think you are, clearly you are on the wrong board, on the wrong forum. When you leave, take your sarcasm with you.

you are WAY out of line here

so just back off.

I NEVER ASKED YOUR OPINION

i posted to SHARE my findings, not sure if you've noticed this, but that's what we tend to DO here.

i don't know who you think you are, clearly you are on the wrong board, on the wrong forum. When you leave, take your sarcasm with you.

I'm out of line? Try looking at your own actions. My posts related specifically to the fact that you mentioned you bought a diamond ring on layaway. Why did you feel the need to mention that little fact? If you hadn't then I wouldn't have bothered posting.

Again, congratulations on finding what sounds like a beautiful ring.

As for me, I think of myself as a financially-responsible person. How do you see yourself?

I am very proud to say that my wife always has, and always will, make FAR more money than I do.. Her career (USAF) came first and I raised our child and worked at what I could to support "her".. Latley things have gotten closer together in income, but it's simply something that I have never even worried about.. And I think you will find that the gap between income levels has shrunk far more dramtically than you think..

It's far too easy to worry about money.. My wife is the same way as Jay really.. But she has come to learn that there is no such thing as "enough" for retirement or college or anything and to constantly put off treating yourself to something nice that you can enjoy until you can "afford it" simply means never getting it.. I'm just glad she would rather have horses than jewelry :rolleyes:

ETA: As for your last remark, that was simply uncalled for..

The gap between income levels has shrunk. In fact, statistics show that women actually make MORE than men if they stay in the workforce the same amount of time. In most cases, one spouse has to assume the childrearing responsibilities. I commend Feydakin for his efforts. It's rare for the father to do so.

As for it being far too easy to worry about money, it's much more difficult if you don't worry about it just a little bit. In regards to retirement, everyone's "number" is different. However, putting off something until you can afford it is being fiscally-responsible. I'm proud to say that I follow the old school -- "if I can't pay cash, I can't afford it" (a house is the exception). This is why I've never had a credit card balance, and owed nothing except for student loans and mortgage payments. I even paid cash for my car, and will continue to do so in the future. That way, if anything goes terribly wrong, I have some financial peace of mind.

Jewelry might be better than horses. Jewelry doesn't eat (or poop for that matter). Nevertheless, you wouldn't own horses if you couldn't afford them.

Edit: Feydakin, in regards to my last remark, I don't understand. I was paying you a compliment -- you are being financially responsible by indulging your wife in a pastime that your income allows you to afford. If you couldn't afford such a pastime, you wouldn't engage in it. What's uncalled-for about that?

Jay - my response was to your last comment :

As for me, I think of myself as a financially-responsible person. How do you see yourself?

You laid that out there in such a way as to make yours the right answer and any other answer to be wrong.. As for all the other stuff, we just happen to disagree on how to finiance our lives.. I'm a huge fan of using other people's money whenever possible..

I could have paid cash for our last car, but I got the loan at 2%.. The money I left in our investments instead of pulling it out to buy a car earned us 14% last year.. The way I see it I'm up 12% on my money.. The same for credit cards.. Theywant to give me a 0% interest card, I'll be more than thrilled to use it while my money does other things..

The problem isn't in the disagreement on how and what to spend money on, but in the agressive tone your post took when you did disagree.. I would never buy a piece of jewelry.. Seriously.. I don't even wear a wedding band.. But I have more cars and motorcycles than I probably need.. Everyone's priorities are different, and everyone's desires are different.. And to chastise someone because they are differnt than you is simply uncalled for..

Jay - my response was to your last comment :

You laid that out there in such a way as to make yours the right answer and any other answer to be wrong.. As for all the other stuff, we just happen to disagree on how to finiance our lives.. I'm a huge fan of using other people's money whenever possible..

I could have paid cash for our last car, but I got the loan at 2%.. The money I left in our investments instead of pulling it out to buy a car earned us 14% last year.. The way I see it I'm up 12% on my money.. The same for credit cards.. Theywant to give me a 0% interest card, I'll be more than thrilled to use it while my money does other things..

The problem isn't in the disagreement on how and what to spend money on, but in the agressive tone your post took when you did disagree.. I would never buy a piece of jewelry.. Seriously.. I don't even wear a wedding band.. But I have more cars and motorcycles than I probably need.. Everyone's priorities are different, and everyone's desires are different.. And to chastise someone because they are differnt than you is simply uncalled for..

Ah, now I understand. I thought you were referring to my comment about horses, rather than f0rbidden.

As for my comment, it did not, in fact, lay out mine as the right answer. Do you believe that someone is financially-responsible if they buy something they can't afford? In your case, it's great that you use OPM (other people's money) to purchase things, even though you could pay cash. In that regard, I completely agree (see one of my earlier posts). HOWEVER, it is a financially irresponsible mistake to buy something when you don't have the cash to cover it.

Most people don't consider the consequences of their financial decisions. They want lots of shiny things or the latest electronic toys, and they don't see the problem with buying it on credit. They want it NOW, rather than later when they can afford it.

Chastising is in the eye of the beholder. Usually the one who takes offense sees it as chastising, while the other is merely asking a question -- which is exactly what I did in the first place. From there, what I thought to be a solid discussion about jewelry financing (and financial responsibility in general) degenerated into an ad hominem attack on me.

I think I finally understand the problem.

You, Jay, thought that because we chose to purchase on layaway rather than pay in cash in full that we were buying something we couldn't afford. Maybe, along the way, in attempting to not lose my cool, I didn't explain it very well. Or maybe, what I said was misunderstood. :rolleyes:

I agree that a diamond is a luxury item. I have children and buying anything for myself is a rare event, indeed. If you have kids, you understand where I'm coming from. :P

I don't see the layaway option as any different than any other type of financing. It didn't make sense to put such a purchase on a credit card, or get a loan, or take money OUT of savings or investments where the money earns interest - this was the logical choice. It isn't a matter of not wanting to wait. Sure, I could have put the money aside, and a couple of months from now, we'd have been able to purchase the same ring - which was the original plan! But I found a really beautiful diamond at a really great price, and we decided it made sense to go ahead and do it now. :D

We also decided not to turn the rest of our financial plan upside down in the process. We decided to stay within the budget we created , not only for the purchase, but for our household.

That all having been said, yeah, I did find your comments to be harsh and uncalled for - you don't actually know anything about my financial situation, nor could you, and so you were making snap judgements which were unnecessary. I found some of your comments came across as a personal attack, which I couldn't understand.

Maybe it's just a matter of the medium - it's hard to convey emotions in text. Sometimes what you believe is an innocent comment or question can be read by someone else who finds it offensive. Text is an unforgiving medium at best, and if you don't know the person you're writing to or whose comment you're reading, it's even more difficult.

So, can we put an end to this discussion, please.

Maybe it's just a matter of the medium - it's hard to convey emotions in text. Sometimes what you believe is an innocent comment or question can be read by someone else who finds it offensive. Text is an unforgiving medium at best, and if you don't know the person you're writing to or whose comment you're reading, it's even more difficult.

So, can we put an end to this discussion, please.

Agreed.

P.S. You have to agree that this has been one of the liveliest threads this board has seen in quite a while. :rolleyes: