J color in an large emerald cut??

donfenn

I am trying to find a nice looking large emerald in the 2.6 to 3.1 carat range, but my budget is under 20,000. So, I know that I will need to compromise to achieve this goal.......

I am focusing on cut as a priority, and I want an eye clean stone. I guess that there are some SI1's with inclusions that are placed in an area that is not immediately visible, but it depends on the stone..right?

Is it a reasonable compromise to go to a J color? I have heard that many J color stones can still have a white appearance face-up", but there are others who say that any color below I in a large emerald is not advised.

Furthermore, would a J color stone with blue flourescense be a good choice to garner a white appearance. I have been thinking that a J with some blue flourescence might give me the most bang for the buck, if I find the right stone.

Any comments??

I have been shopping for EC diamonds as well, and have been to several local stores to see what's out there and to get a feel for what I want to buy - now, my budget isn't anywhere what yours is, so keeping that in mind - I saw two 1 carat stones. One was an E color/VS1 clarity and the other was a G color/ VVS clarity. The G color stone was noticably "Darker" than was the E color - you have to go see these in person. I would suggest you go and see the J color diamond and see it next to other stones in other color ranges so you can get a feel for what's what - then, make your call based on your own judgement and what pleases your eye and/or the eye of whomever you are purchasing it for.

Someone here told me the best thing I could do was shop around and really LOOK at the diamonds. I think I would pass this suggestion on to you - definitly!

I can't honestly say I've seen anything that says not to go below "I" but I have seen a lot of advice that says not to go below "G" color.

Oh, and I have to tell you - a quick search online found several "F" color, VS1 diamonds in the 3carat range for well under your budget. Even found a D color VS2 that was over 3 carats and still fell under $15,000.

Good luck with your search! Can't wait to see pictures of the diamond you choose!

Just to make sure to set the record straight:

You ain't buyin' no 3 carat D- or F color VS for $15K ( unless we're talking $15k per carat)

Donfenn- I have heard so many people advise not to go below such and such a color.

In nearly every case, this info springs from a seller who's trying to get folks to spend more.

F0rbidden gave thg4e right advice about looking for yourself.

We've had so many "Top Silver" emerald cuts ( in the J-K-L-M range)

The photo I attached is of a K color.

post-2-1141074196.jpg

It is impossible to accurately depict or compare color in images.

Everyone has different tolerances of color that they are comfortable with. Some people refuse to go below a G, others are happy with J,K or L color. It is all a matter of your comfort and ultimate priorities or goals.

We recently sold a 1.56 K emerald cut. There was a faint and subtle hint of color in the corners, but ultimately I thought the diamond faced beautifully and the customer was pleased with both the color and value they received for the size they got.

Megan, I agree that comparing images taken by different photographers is not neccesarily useful.

However, I disagree that depicting color is impossible- and, if you look at our site's color chart- in which every photograph was taken by me- you'll get a pretty good idea of the differences in shade.

David,

I agree that it is easier to compare color when taken by the same photographer. However, even in your chart your light source changes as does your background as well as what you hold your stones in. All these factors will affect the appearance of the color.

As I said before, it is impossible to "accurately" depict subtle color differences in images. Consistency is really key, but even then different monitor settings can also imact the visaul appearance of an image. The most useful color comparison that can be done photographically is to compare in one picture, two or three different stones.

Yes, a comparison photo taken with diamonds right next to each other can be excellent.

I do feel that our photos are able to convey subtle differences in color.

We have the experience of thousands of people who've purchased based on my photos.

But I agree that almost all the other photos I see don't show color very well...........

From much of what I see it sounds like a well cut, well proportioned J stone in a setting, worn in real life situations will look quite nice.. It seems that the color difference is only strongly notable in a comparative situation, or to the eye of a true expert...Am I right on this?

Also: From what I have learned it appears that a J by GIA report is a better bet than a J on an EGL report.... It sounds like GIA is more consistent on color grading.

i think that you can certainly find something in the color range you seek that will look quite lovely, but I don't agree that it takes a trained expert to notice the difference between a J color and a D-E-F color EC diamond.

However! That having been said, as with everything else, it IS a matter of personal preference and everyone has a different tolerance level for color or lack thereof.

I hope you find something that you will love - because in the end, that's what really matters.

As for GIA vs. EGL, I have heard from several different experts in the field that GIA is more strigent in their grading criteria, and more consistent. So, "J" GIA stone may be graded as an "H" on a EGL certificate.

Hi Don,

The color of a diamond is not an exact, precise measurement, it is a range, which means J color diamonds can vary greatly

Also, the cut of an emerald cut will vary greatly, a well cut emerald cut can help to mask a tint of color.

Conversely, the yellow tint in a poorly cut J color can stick out like a sore thumb.

Bottom line, you have to look at them and compare to know.

I agree that GIA will be stricter on color and that some blue Fl. will help.