Diamond Color in Yellow Gold Setting

nikas35

I have been told by some that if you get a diamond in a yellow gold setting with a color rating above a G (a colorless diamond), that the diamond will pick up the color from the yellow gold setting. Is this accurate? Will the higher grade diamonds (D, E, F) pick up the color from a yellow gold band? What kind of diamond color should I seek in a yellow gold bank? Thanks.

What do you mean by "pick up"? Like "picking up" the flu or a cold? :mellow:

I believe a higher color-grade diamond is appropriate for white gold or platinum bands, whereas yellow gold bands are more forgiving to less-than-perfect diamonds...

I have been told by some that if you get a diamond in a yellow gold setting with a color rating above a G (a colorless diamond), that the diamond will pick up the color from the yellow gold setting.  Is this accurate? ...

I would say no.

A higher color diamond (D-E-F) will contrast even more with the yellow metal.

Its funny, we have been making up soooooo many rings in white metal that I almost forgot about this effect.

Here is a pic of an "E" color ideal cut diamond we recently set in a 14K yellow design.

Pictures cannot do the combination justice, it was spectacular.

Brian

post-2-1140618326.jpg

I know it's an old fashioned thought..but there was a time when I wouldn't have set a diamond in anything BUT yellow gold - I thought the color that the gold provided really brought out the fire in the stone.

Times they are a changin' I guess, because the ring I am hoping to have in hand soon will be either 18k WG or platinum.