what to buy

CSIEVERS

I am looking for many opinions guys, jewelers and most importantly wives.

I would appreciate to know your viewpoint

From the little bit of research that I have done in the past week or two it seems like one can pay a lot for perfection and not know any way of telling the difference from a good diamond. So these are the minimum requirements that I can find for a good diamond can some body let me know if I am on the right path.

Shape – Round (57-58) facets

She is traditional

Caret - what I can afford

I will probably get between a 0.8 and a 1

She is very small and she is a gardener

Cut - Ideal

(I feel this is the best place to spend my dollar) Is there different grades with in ideal?

I have seen brilliant, Tolkowsky( I believe this is the guy who set the standard), and Fiery Ideal

or would you really not be able to notice

Color - G

Is preferred but you might be able to get away with an H if she does not spend too much time comparing it to other diamonds that are Ds. But I do plan on getting a platinum ring.

Clarity - S1

I feel like only a trained eye should be able to see it

Maybe a vs2 but if you can't see it with the naked eye what is the point

Well I am pretty sure she won't have a 10x lens looking at it(maybe once)

how much of a problem is it that the standards maybe be being slowly be eroded.(to many be's)

Symmetry - I need help here

What level can the untrained eye detect?

I would like it to be perfect but at what level is it does it not matter? Can the naked eye tell the difference or dos it affect the sparkle ?

Polish - I need help here

What level can the untrained eye detect?

I would like it to be perfect but at what level is it does it not matter

Can I get an area polished if it has an imperfection? (I am guessing this is a question that will be answer with well it depends).

Girdle – Medium

I am told the thin ones chip and the thick ones are not worth it because it is not

Cullet –none or very small

I am not sure really what this has to do with the price of tea in china but I am guessing if it is not there it might chip in certain settings

Fluorescence – personal preference

But adds cost (I think she prefers none)

Certification – just make sure it is there

GIA or AGSL are the most common

Any thing else that I might have missed

Thanks

my user name should have been cheapskate!

my next stop is going to be to go to a local jeweler and learn from them.

i'm not an expert, nor a jeweler - but i am a wife!

i think every person who purchases a diamond is looking for something special, otherwise, why have one - right?

for me, my husband has given me a budget to purchase a diamond ring, because when we were engaged, we couldn't afford one. I've been shopping around because I want the best diamond I can afford, even if that means buying a smaller stone.

Some people don't feel that way! They would rather have the larger stone, and if the 'quality' (I use that term so very loosly) is lesser, than so be it.

I think you need to have a feel for the woman for whom you are purchasing the diamond..to me, the idea that nature can create something that is close to 'perfect' is mind-boggling, and that's the stone I want, even though the untrained eye can't tell the difference..i'll KNOW and that's what matters.

but I'm not everyone, and i've certainly no clue as to what you or your special someone wants or thinks is wonderful.

I have no doubt that whatever you choose, if it's given with the love you feel in your heart - it will be cherished, as is the sterling silver celtic knot ring my husband asked me to marry him with :blink:)

i'm not an expert, nor a jeweler - but i am a wife!

i think every person who purchases a diamond is looking for something special, otherwise, why have one - right?

for me, my husband has given me a budget to purchase a diamond ring, because when we were engaged, we couldn't afford one. I've been shopping around because I want the best diamond I can afford, even if that means buying a smaller stone.

Some people don't feel that way! They would rather have the larger stone, and if the 'quality' (I use that term so very loosly) is lesser, than so be it.

I think you need to have a feel for the woman for whom you are purchasing the diamond..to me, the idea that nature can create something that is close to 'perfect' is mind-boggling, and that's the stone I want, even though the untrained eye can't tell the difference..i'll KNOW and that's what matters.

but I'm not everyone, and i've certainly no clue as to what you or your special someone wants or thinks is wonderful.

I have no doubt that whatever you choose, if it's given with the love you feel in your heart - it will be cherished, as is the sterling silver celtic knot ring my husband asked me to marry him with :blink:

You sound like your looking for what I just bought. I bought a carrot, round, ideal cut, g color, a good SI1, vg pol, vg sym, no florence, thin-med. girdle, no cutlet and GIA Cert in a plat. setting. I went to Union Diamond, and believe the diamond is awesome. I would go with those specs. again. It worked for me, and it probably will work for you. Or call them, ask for Tony and tell him you want the exact same stone as Joe, in the .8 to 1 range. :blink:

to me, the idea that nature can create something that is close to 'perfect' is mind-boggling, and that's the stone I want, even though the untrained eye can't tell the difference..i'll KNOW and that's what matters.

I'm of the same school of thought. If appearance is all that matters, why not buy a cubic zirconia or other diamond look-alike? Other people won't know the difference. On the other hand, you will know, and the fact that it's fake will come through in your demeanor.