AGS

Guest kikc

I posted earlier about a pair of diamond earrings. Thank you for your response Megan.

Now my next question. I contacted the store where I purchased the earrings asking about the paperwork they were supposed to mail me. They said they had it so I went to pick it up. The "appraisal" was nothing more than a mere sentence. Reads as follows. A pair of 14k white gold 4 prong stud earrings featuring (2) round brilliant cut diamonds weighing .71ctw, average color G and clarity SI1. Value $2400.00

I bought the earrings from an AGS accredited gem lab. Is this apprasial acceptable by AGS standards? Why would this be so different from the independant appraisal Color I SI2 value $1680.00?

I paid $1500.00 for the earrings. I still would have bought them whatever the specs were. They are very nice. But, I was not told the truth and that irratates me.

Thanks,

Kristine

The "appraisal" was nothing more than a mere sentence. Reads as follows. A pair of 14k white gold 4 prong stud earrings featuring (2) round brilliant cut diamonds weighing .71ctw, average color G and clarity SI1. Value 00.00

I bought the earrings from an AGS accredited gem lab. Is this apprasial acceptable by AGS standards? Why would this be so different from the independant appraisal Color I SI2 value 80.00?

A couple of things here:

The 'appraisal' is from the supplier, this is not a real appraisal and as I stated before... is worth less than the paper it is printed on. The 'appraisal' has nothing to do with and is not at all related to AGS.

You said that you bought the earrings from an AGS accredited gem lab. AGS does not sell stones, they grade them. Did your stones come with AGSL grading reports? Or did they come with a report that was provided by the seller that made some note about being graded by AGS standards?

Did the report note the color and clarity to be G SI1 or VS1? I believe you mentioned VS clarity in your other post.

If the stones were set when you got the appraisal they are not color graded the same way they would be loose. A difference of one color or clarity grade can be acceptable in an independent appraisal.

The value quoted by the independent appraisal vs the seller appraisal is most likely going to vary, it is a fairly obvious assumption that the sellers would be higher.

The most important thing is that you love the diamonds you got and that you feel like you got what you paid for. If you do not feel that way, you might see about returning them.