Shane co - Unable to track lost diamond

shankak

Hi all,

Following is my BAD experience at Shane co:

I got a new job so I thought I would surprise my wife with a diamond ring with my first month salary. And so I took my wife on January 14th 2006 around 12PM to Shane co, woodbury, MN. We saw a diamond which was 0.5 carat and we liked it but the diamond didn’t carry any certification so we requested the sales person to look for another one which would have a certification on it. But we did pay $500 just in case, to block the diamond for us. She was kind enough to give us a call after 2 days and she said they have another loose diamond 0.72 ($3900) carat which is with AGS certification. So on the same week we went to the shop again to have a look at the diamond. My wife loved it and I purchased it. After the full payment they asked us to collect the diamond on Monday 23rd January 2006. Since my wife had some personal work we said we would come and collect on the 24th.

But on Tuesday 24th January day after the original delivery date, I got a call from the sales rep saying that they had misplaced the diamond. It was the mistake of the person who was working on setting the diamond. He mistakenly fitted it with another ring and it was already delivered. So we went on again on 25th January 2006. This time we spoke to the manager and she again said the same story that they confused it with another diamond. And both said they were unable to track to which customer it was mistakenly given which is hard to believe. But they compensated with another diamond 0.74 carat $4150 and they took care of the difference. My wife was okwith it just because she didn’t want to create any problem because this was the first time I am getting her a diamond ring (sentimental part of the purchase and accepted the replacement).

My wife had plans for getting me a diamond band which we were interested on the second visit but I dropped it after this had happened, and gave a different reason to the store.

I had mailed Mr Shane regarding the same but so far no reply :lol:

Has any of you guys there been in similar situation?

Regards,

Shanky

Hi all,

Following is my BAD experience at Shane co:

I got a new job so I thought I would surprise my wife with a diamond ring with my first month salary. And so I took my wife on January 14th 2006 around 12PM to Shane co, woodbury, MN. We saw a diamond which was 0.5 carat and we liked it but the diamond didn’t carry any certification so we requested the sales person to look for another one which would have a certification on it. But we did pay $500 just in case, to block the diamond for us. She was kind enough to give us a call after 2 days and she said they have another loose diamond 0.72 ($3900) carat which is with AGS certification. So on the same week we went to the shop again to have a look at the diamond. My wife loved it and I purchased it. After the full payment they asked us to collect the diamond on Monday 23rd January 2006. Since my wife had some personal work we said we would come and collect on the 24th.

But on Tuesday 24th January day after the original delivery date, I got a call from the sales rep saying that they had misplaced the diamond. It was the mistake of the person who was working on setting the diamond. He mistakenly fitted it with another ring and it was already delivered. So we went on again on 25th January 2006. This time we spoke to the manager and she again said the same story that they confused it with another diamond. And both said they were unable to track to which customer it was mistakenly given which is hard to believe. But they compensated with another diamond 0.74 carat $4150 and they took care of the difference. My wife was okwith it just because she didn’t want to create any problem because this was the first time I am getting her a diamond ring (sentimental part of the purchase and accepted the replacement).

My wife had plans for getting me a diamond band which we were interested on the second visit but I dropped it after this had happened, and gave a different reason to the store.

I had mailed Mr Shane regarding the same but so far no reply :(

Has any of you guys there been in similar situation?

Regards,

Shanky

I wonder about your new diamond. Does it have any certification?

Sorry about your experience. I got a diamond at Shane and then returned it. I am so happy I did it. Through find local jeweler I was given a name of a jewelry store where I bought my new diamond and it is great.

Good luck to you,

Elena :)

Yes it does carry GIA certification. And its .03 carat more but all that concerns me is that a big name in diamond industry saying they were unable to track the diamond.

And yesterday I got a call from Shane co Woodbury and they were referencing the mail I had written to Tom Shane. You write a mail to management to escalate the issue. And you get a call from the local store saying they have found the diamond and they want to make us happy. If I wanted to escalate to the store Sr manager I would have done that already.

Regards,

Shanky

Wow at last I got back the diamond that was supposedly misplaced, and it did look more beautiful than the one we were replaced with.

I do have a copy of that (first) diamond AGS certificate with me. So I would be comparing them once I get the certificate in hand.

My wife was really happy this time :(

Regards,

Shanky

• 9 months later...

All well then, Shanak. Good post and it appears you were treated pretty well. Even if the orig diamond hadn't been found, I think you did okay by getting a more expensive, if not better one for no out-of-pocket cost to you. Mistakes happen, the jewelers and techs are human. Shane must do hundreds of rings a day, if not more. Each diamond handled offers numerous chances for things to go awry.