What is a large diamond size?

kramejo

Interestingly enough, I had a similar conversation with my fiance-to-be (I haven't asked her yet) the other day. All of her recently engaged/married friends seem to have received diamonds in the 1.5-2.0 carat range, and she expressed a strong interest in having a comparably-sized stone. However, what I've noticed in looking at their rings is that they don't really sparkle or "wink" at me. This could, of course, be a question of lighting. However, I'm inclined to believe that one or more of the "4 Cs" is/are of lesser quality. Thus, while it's impressive to have a 2.0 carat stone, it doesn't impress me if the color, cut or clarity is poor.

I told my fiance-to-be this in response to her expressed desire for a large stone, emphasized that it was my decision as to what size stone I was going to purchase, and it was my strong preference to buy a smaller, very high quality stone, than a lesser-quality large stone. I followed up my statement that she could always trade up to a larger stone sometime in the future (her eyes lit up when she heard that).

Just for curiousity's sake, I asked her whether she knew how much a high-quality 1.5-2.0 carat stone (e.g., F color, ~60 depth/~58 table, VS1-VS2) actually cost to purchase. She didn't really know, but guessed around $8k-10k. When I told her that it could range from $12.5k-$30k, she simply said "oh" and was quiet thereafter.

Jay,

Your experience is similar to what I have experienced with my fiance-to-be.

I am under the impression that women are more interested in size than quality. For fun, a salesperson showed me a 2ct stone that was not eye clean (even for my untrained eye), did not sparkle much at all, yet was on display and caught the attention of every woman that saw it. They loved it, simply because of it's size.

My purchase was a 1.5, d, ideal, si1 with enough sparkle that if it doesn't blind the guy across the room trying to check her out, then she must be wearing gloves. :lol:

Jay,

Your experience is similar to what I have experienced with my fiance-to-be.

I am under the impression that women are more interested in size than quality.  For fun, a salesperson showed me a 2ct stone that was not eye clean (even for my untrained eye), did not sparkle much at all, yet was on display and caught the attention of every woman that saw it.  They loved it, simply because of it's size.

My purchase was a 1.5, d, ideal, si1 with enough sparkle that if it doesn't blind the guy across the room trying to check her out, then she must be wearing gloves.  :lol:

It sounds like women are mostly the same when it comes to diamonds -- the bigger the better.

I'm surprised you went with a D color stone, as most people purchasing a colorless diamond go for F, since the human eye can't tell the difference and the cost for a D is so much higher.

As I've posted here previously, I ended up purchasing a 1.20 carat F color VS2 round. I wasn't willing to compromise on color or clarity, and didn't want to break the $10k barrier. I'd rather spend the extra $1,500 (I paid $8,500 for the entire ring) as part of the cost for a trip to Europe where I can give her the ring in style. That way, she'll have a high-quality stone and an amazing engagement story to go along with it. Likewise, every time she looks at the ring, she'll remember where I gave it to her.

A diamond can always be upgraded, a memory can never be. :D

In response to your question and the responses that were received about the size of the diamond. As a woman who have had many diamonds and am about to get another, I will honestly say that my diamonds have run the gamut. When I was engaged, I received a "diamond chip." I think it cost $199. I could not have been happier! I was in love. As time passed (maybe 3 years), I wanted a larger stone - as did my husband wanted one for me. I got a 2 karat, J, I - not good quality, but good size. As I became more educated about stones, I traded for another - a 2kt, I, IF. Great stone. I since made that stone an earring and am about to get a 6 kt VS2, I. Great stone. Time and education along with where I am in my life and what I feel I have earned and am worth causes me to go for larger than 2kt. As a previous repsondent stated, it also depends on the circles you frequent. I will add ..... is this stone a necessity? Absolutely not! Does it say a lot to a woman about a man feels about her? Absolutely! Will it cure world hunger? Hell to the no! Is it, however one of those things that women value that men don't, won't and never will? Yes! Think of it in male terms of cars, s_x, and the remote control.

Shawn,

I'm sorry, but comparing an engagement ring to the purchase of a car seems a bit silly. The average car these days costs $20k+. I would NEVER spend that kind of money on an engagement ring, even though doing so might excite my fiance-to-be beyond all belief.

Women may value diamonds, but if my fiance-to-be measures how I feel about her by the size of the diamond I give her, what does that say about her?

Jay,

Let me start that over again.

Jay, Jay, Jay,

If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

At a certain level cars are an appliance and you simply have to have one to live your life. This is about a $2-$10k problem depending on how you approach it and where you live and at that level I agree with you. Beyond that, it really is pretty comparable with diamonds. The reason to buy $40k cars is because you want one. There's nothing wrong with that but, as a rule they're a crappy investment and they certainhly aren't necessary. In 10 years you'll want another one and in the meantime you have to license and insure the thing. Diamonds last longer, the holding costs are better, the long term resale potential is generally better and they have a similar status affect in the right communities. A nice car may impress you and your friends but your lady is likely to have different requirements. Unfortunately, one of the requirements that women (at least young women), seem to have is that they like diamonds better if they can get men to buy them. Men don't seem to have this issue about encouraging women to buy them cars. It may actually be the opposite. A gift from your sugar momma might be seen as worse than if you bought it for yourself. In the end, you might be surprised how connected these things are.

Neil

Denverappraiser,

Sorry, but I've never tolerated the golddigger mentality on the part of any woman. I can usually smell it a mile away, and stay as far away as possible.

As for the resale value of a diamond, that only matters if a woman is willing to part with it. Most women aren't willing to do so. Rather, they would prefer you buy them another and bigger diamond that they can add to their collection. Say you buy your wife some 1 carat t.w. diamond earrings. To me, .5 carats on each ear is plenty. But let's assume she wants larger ones, say, 2 carats t.w. I would bet that if you were to suggest she trade in her old earings for the new ones, and that you would pay the difference, she would look at you like you had two heads. In response, she would probably argue that she needs two different sizes, depending on her outfit.

The foregoing situation is far different than owning a car. You trade cars in and pay the difference.

You can trade in diamonds and pay the difference as well.. And people do it every single day all day long..

I think Neil was simply making the point that people value different things differntly.. My wife doesn't even like jewelry, wouldn't pay $100 for a ring, but would gladly drop $5k to $10k on a horse without even giving it a second thought.. The same goes for diamonds.. Or anything else.. Just because a woman wanta a large diamond does not make her a gold digger, but assuming that any woman that wants a large diamond is makes you something else..

My point about trading in diamonds for larger ones is that many women won't. They would far prefer to amass a collection (hence the idea that a woman needs certain pieces of jewelery, e.g., diamond stud earings, diamond tennis bracelet, etc...)

In my opinion, insisting on a large diamond engagement ring (or a horse, or any other expensive item for that matter), but not wanting to pay for it, makes a person a golddigger.

I am happy to see that this stream was ended a number of days ago. This whole thing started with the simple question of:What is a large diamond size? Bottom line .... to each his own! If you like it, I love it! If you AND your fiance are happy with 1 carat, GREAT! If you AND your fiance are happy with 7 carats, GREAT!

FYI .... I bought a diamond 10 years ago. I am selling that diamond for double the money and the buyer thinks that they are getting a deal because the current prices of diamonds have gone through the roof! On the flip side of that, I bought a Cadillac Escalade in 2002 for 40-some odd thousand dollars and today in 2006 it is worth .... ummm 30. Maybe?