Princess Cut (1.0 ct) Questions

moe_ron333

I am in the market for a 1.0 ct princess cut loose diamond, I will be mounting in a cathedral seeting I have already purchased. My budget $6-7K for the stone.

I have looked online and have talked to a few stores. Everyones information seems to be different. I cannot see the stones online, and the stores I have been too are trying to sell me inferior stones.

Most likely I will end up buying on line. So without being able to see and compare the stones, I need a little help determing what is most important.

How shoud I rate the C's for this stone if I do not want to exceed $7K. It is important to me that this stone is SQUARE, I do not want anything remotely rectangular.

Originally, I was looking at stones DEF and VS2-VVS2. I could find them on line for around $6K. Then I learned a little more about cut, and when looking for a an excellent cut, I had to downgrade to EFG, VS1.

So what I'm trying to figure out is what is more imprtant on a princess cut for my price range? Any reccomendationos are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Square stones are less abundant than elongated stones and this mainly has to do with lack of set standards as well as weight retention. So, I think the best place for you to start would be with cut and then see what color clarity combinations are available amongst the most square stones that you find that still meet your specifications.

Also, Excellent polish and symmetry doesn't mean a whole lot if the rest of the proportions are less than desirable. So, proportions are important to consider.

The other thing that I would note is that there are many eye-clean VS2 stones so, you may not want to rule these out as they provide an excellent value and open up the possibility of more candidates for you.

EF and G colors will face beautifully so, I don't think you have much to worry about there.