price too good to be true?

bleibowitz

I've been looking for a stone for a while now, and have found that you generally get what you pay for, although reputable online retailers, comeptitive local retailers, and less competitive retailers have different starting points. However, I found this one stone at Blue Nile that seems too good to be true - it handily beats other similar stones from the same retailer:

Price: $6100

Carat weight: 1.07

Cut: Ideal

Color: G

Clarity: VS1

Depth %: 61.8%

Table %: 54.2%

Symmetry: Ideal

Polish: Ideal

Girdle: Thin to thick

Culet: None

Fluorescence: None

Measurements: 6.56x6.60x4.07 mm

The stone comes with an AGSL certificate, although I haven't received it yet. However, virtually every VS2 that I've looked at satisfied my personal needs, so I don't see how I would find a certified VS1 unacceptable. Ditto on the color - G/H is fine for me. The cut, polish, and symmetry all seem pretty close to ideal from the above info.

So the question is, what kinds of things could be wrong with this stone that wouldn't show up here, and might not even show up in the certificate once I check it?

The stone looks very promising, the price is reasonable, and the dealer is well regarged. Have you seen the stone yet?

Things to check for:

#1 Is it the same stone as the one described on the lab report?

#2 Has it been damaged since the lab saw it?

#3 Does it have the light behavior you want?

I wouldn't expect these to be a problem from Blue Nile.

AGSL is an excellent lab. Good choice.

Neil