what about buying online?

Guest rich_

I travel a lot and have no time to go to a jewelry to buy an engagement ring.

I've been into a couple of jeweleries and have an idea of what I want. I am considering buying online, but it is very difficult to choose a diamond based on the numbers only.

Are there companies that can be trusted on the web? Is there a chance to take a look at the diamond if you buy it online?

Most of the diamonds come with a GIA report or something similar, but can I trust the numbers only?

I travel a lot and have no time to go to a jewelry to buy an engagement ring.

I've been into a couple of jeweleries and have an idea of what I want. I am considering buying online, but it is very difficult to choose a diamond based on the numbers only.

Are there companies that can be trusted on the web? Is there a chance to take a look at the diamond if you buy it online?

Most of the diamonds come with a GIA report or something similar, but can I trust the numbers only?

Are there companies that can be trusted on the web?

Yes. Quite a few. Read the details on their websites, read through their policies and what they count as important. They aren't all the same and not everyone likes the same dealers. Stick with the ones that have a professional feel to them and your odds of getting what you want the first time go up considerably. It also helps if you stick with ones that actually stock diamonds rather then selling from virtual lists although this doesn't generally get the rock bottom prices. Choose one that suits your own shopping style. Picking the right dealer in the first place can go a long way towards making this a pleasant experience. There are some advertisers behind the link at the top called 'find an online jeweler' and several others that are regulars on the forum who don't choose to advertise here. Everyone has a link or two at the foot of their messages. Check with the BBB and similar groups in their hometown. Pay with a credit card if you're at all nervous.

Is there a chance to take a look at the diamond if you buy it online?

It will depend on the policy of the company selling. I would not even consider buying from any dealer that doesn't give you at least 10 days to examine the stone, show it to your chosen expert, your mother or your astrologer, and allow you to return it if you are unhappy for any reason.

Most of the diamonds come with a GIA report or something similar, but can I trust the numbers only.

GIA report yes. Something similar, maybe. The numbers tell you part of the story and there are other kinds of reports and images that tell you other parts. Unfortunately, there is no level of documentation that will tell you everything you might ever want to know about a diamond without seeing it so it will depend on exactly what you are hoping to learn. What these reports do is increase the chances that what you get will be what you want the first time. For the good dealers, this is what they want as well. You buy a stone, they ship it, you get it appraised, you keep it because it was a great deal. End of story. They don't like the return process any more than you do. GIA offers a good service. So does AGS. There are other brands that are far less reputable and I wouldn't recommend relying on them unless you know who they are and have some good reason to believe their grading opinion is helpful. Anyone with a printer and a little bit of chutspah can call themselves a gemological lab. This doesn't make their thoughts valuable.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

Rich;

You're right about it being very difficult to buy just on the numbers alone.

Best advice is to work with a Vendor that has the diamonds in-house or if it's listed on one of the Virtual databses (VD) can have it sent in to him for personal examination.

In this way you'll be able to get photo's and various types of information that will help you in your decision.

As with any other major purchase, get as much information as possible before you drop the bucks.

Good Luck.