Comparison of Two Diamonds

Guest diamondnovice

Guest diamondnovice

Assuming that the price for each is more or less equal, which of the two diamonds below would be a better value?

Shape: Round

Carat weight: 1.47

Cut: Ideal

Color: G

Clarity: VVS2

Certificate: GIA

Depth: 62%

Table: 56%

Polish: Excellent - Ideal

Symmetry: Excellent - Ideal

Girdle: Thin to medium, faceted

Culet: None

Fluorescence: None

Measurements: 7.27*7.34*4.53

or

Shape: Round

Weight: 1.70 Carat

Cut Grade: Ideal

Color Grade: H

Clarity Grade: VS1

Laboratory: GIA

Certificate No: 14279082

Measurements: 7.64-7.68x4.69mm

Depth: 61.2%

Table: 57%

Girdle: Medium to Slightly thick

Culet: NONE

Polish: VERY GOOD

Symmetry: : EXCELLENT

Fluorescence: Strong blue

Thanks in advance for your help.

diamondnovice,

Both diamonds look to have great proportions and will probably be equal in their brilliance and dispersion.

I'm personally a big fan of fluorescence, so the fact that the "H" is a strong blue is of no bother to me personally. I might be in the minority camp, though, so if you think there is any chance you'll ever want to sell the diamond keep in mind that many people are not interested in fluorescent diamonds. As long as the strong blue doesn't hurt the diamond, my vote is probably for the "H".

With that said, I asked my wife Michele what she thinks (by the way - she wears a H-VVS2 Asscher with strong blue!) and she voted strongly for the "G". When I asked why, her reasoning was: it's a color grade whiter, it's a clarity grade higher, and the visual size difference wouldn't be that much to her.

Don't know how much this helps, but if nothing else you should feel confident that either diamond will make a great choice!

All the best,

The "numbers" look good but only speak to the external configuration of the stones and do not necessarily give you any indication as to light performance and leakage.

For that you will need an idealscope and brilliancescope analysis. Ask the vendor if he can supply these analyses for you.