$29K diamond worth it?

marky2005

Hi,

I'm totally new to diamond shopping but just started looking for an engagement ring to be used in the near future (smile). I went into a very reputable jewelry company and was shown a ring with the following gradings:

Shape: Round Brilliant

Measurements: 7.71 x 7.81 x 4.69mm

Carat: 1.68

Color: F

Clarity: VVS2

Cert/Report: GIA

Polish: Excellent

Girdle: Medium Faceted

Cutlet: None

Symmetry: Very Good

Depth: 60.4%

Table: 60%

Fluorescence: None

Price: $29,000

That price would be a stretch for me but would be ok, as long as I thought it was a fair deal. I asked what the cut was, but was told that GIA doesn't grade the cuts. Instead, they showed me a GIA certificate with the above information, and said that the proportions would show that it was within what would be considered "Ideal."

I have two questions: first, is there enough information above to grade the cut as excellent, very good, etc? Second, does the price sound right for that diamond?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

marky2005,

The diamond has excellent proportions, although a 60% table is outside Ideal parameters and you were misinformed when you were told otherwise.

As to price, $29,000 might be a fine and fair price in a store, but it's about $8,000 higher than you'd pay for the exact same quality diamond online. In addition websites don't charge sales tax unless you live in the same state, so that might be another thousand or more in savings.

If you think the store will drop the price by $5,000 then I think you're in the ballpark. Otherwise you should seriously consider your online options.

Warmest regards,

That is extremely helpful. When you say the diamond has "excellent" proportions, are you referring to the GIA scale or are you just using that term generally? The price difference you talk about is also interesting. I'm wondering if it's consistent across all the diamonds in the store. FOr example, the other diamond from that store I was considering was this one:

Shape: Round Brilliant

Measurements: 7.51 x 7.56 x 4.71mm

Carat: 1.63

Depth: 62.5%

Table: 57%

Girdle: Slightly Thick to Thick, Faceted

Cutlet: None

Polish: Excellent

Symmetry: Very Good

Clarity: VS1

Color: F

Fluorescence: None

Cert/Report: GIA

Price: $26,000

Is this diamond excellent/ideal? How does it compare to the first diamond? To the online alternative?

Congratulations on your upcoming engagement.

Ideal is a term used by AGS and the industry for perfect symmetry, proportions and polish. The GIA does not provide enough cut or proportion information to determine if it is truly Ideal. They only provide symmetry and polish grades. You can ask for a Sarin or OGI report which will have this additional proportion information or you can also look at AGS graded diamonds which provide proportion and now performance (new certs) grades.

The optical symmetry and proportions of a diamond are what most dictate the brilliance and fire the diamond will exhibit. They make the diamond "sparkle". So, these are important factors to consider when purchasing.

I agree with James about the pricing. You can also do a search for your parameters and find a list of diamonds to price compare. Keep in mind that cut does factor into price. Two 1 ct F VS2's can be priced quite differently if one is Ideal cut and one is far less than Ideal cut.

Another thing to consider is the abundance of information that many vendors provide to help you pick a gorgeous diamond. Images, BrillianceScope results, etc.

In regards to clarity, most VS2 diamonds are eye-clean so there is no visual difference between a VS2 and VVS2. If you are interested in maximizing size or saving money, this may be something to consider.

marky2005,

I used the term "excellent" in general terms. Even though the diamond isn't Ideal by AGS standards, the diamond still has very nice proportions and I'm sure it appeared very bright and appealing in the store.

The second diamond is closer to Ideal, although the purists will argue that a diamond must have the highest polish and symmetry ratings in addition to all the correct angles (depth/table/crown/pavillion) to earn that label. We don't have all those angles on the second diamond to make a complete judgement, but in my opinion the 62.7% depth is a little high.

As to price, you're about $9,000 over what you'd pay at a website...