Emerald in the Rapaport

Guest narntson

Guest narntson

Dear Expert,

I am in the process of choosing an Emerald Cut shape that will justify my minimal budget as a student. Two areas concern me when I've shopped around and looked at various stones: The inclusions, and the proportion as listed in Rapaport. Some dealers have given me the ideal top square proportion as 1.5 for Emerald. However, I've been told by a dealer that the rapaport price depends on whether its more of a "sqaure emerald" or "rectanguliar". I haven't seen the latest rap sheet, but would the market value of some emerald stones be matched to oval or pear cuts?! This is what my dealer told me, so do I buy his advice? Does this price justfication make sense to compare an emerald cut stone to a pear or square in the rapaport? How do I look at the rapaport this way?

Rap doesn’t have much information that’s useful for a consumer. They don’t discuss the proportions of an emerald cut, or any other cut issue for that matter. Their matrix has weight, clarity, color, and some general groupings for facet design. Nothing more. The dealers know this but they love to show the sheet anyway and customers have learned to demand it. Think of it as looking up the blue book value of a car without taking condition into consideration. The cheapest stones in the market will come at a considerable discount from Rap and the best will sell at a premium. To find comparable pricing, use the search engines like the one under ‘find an online jeweler’ at the top of the page and you will find a much more useful set of data. There are several other similar engines that have different sets of stones listed and a little bit of research can give you a pretty good idea where you price point should be as well as how it will change when you adjust one item.

Personally, I like the 1.5:1 ratio as well but this will depend somewhat on the design of the final ring. The l:w ratio isn’t one of the big variables that makes a stone more or less expensive unless it’s really extreme one way or the other.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

For consumers, using the Rap sheet can do you more harm than good. This is so because Rapaport does not factor the quality of the Cut into his pricing and states as such in his disclaimer.

The sheet is used by tradespeople as a general barometer but diamonds within the trade are bought and sold on the basis of meticulous physical inspection. Follow our lead.

The 1.5 ratio is a good start but there are other more important considerations; i.e.; Cut and proportions and interaction of the Table, Crown, Pavillion.

Emerald cuts are very different from the other diamond shapes in that their shape and lesser amount of facets refracts light significantly different and can allow even VS imperfections to be seen. This is why you need to do your homework and see as many Emerald Cuts as possible.

Your jeweler is making you feel like an "insider" by waving this Rap sheet under your "k-no-w-se". Get your hankie out and protect your wallet by doing more homework.

Good Luck.