Got Diamond Questions?
Our community of diamond experts are here to provide answers
Sign in to follow this  
ksarson

6 online stores 1 diamond same inscription number.

Diamonds on web

James Allen

Abazias

Mondera

Diamond.com

Union Diamond

All of these stores have the exact same diamond according to each of their GIA certificates on their sites. The diamond I am looking at is below.

If each GIA number inscribed on the diamond is supposed to be unique then how can six different stores sell the same diamond with the same number?. The GIA number on each of their certs is 14033049 and from what they say is supposedly inscribed on their diamond. So basically I am saying how can there by six diamonds with the same number? Is this correct? Is GIA giving 2 or more diamonds the same cert number?

Round

.35 Carat

61.5% Depth

56% Table

Medium to Slightly Thick Girdle

No Culet

Excellent Polish

Excellent Symmetry

SI2

E Color

Characteristics - Crystal

You have just uncovered one of the dirty little secrets of the diamond trade. Many jewelers, including traditional storefront jewelers, don't actually own the diamonds they sell -- their suppliers do.

The diamonds they show on their websites actually come from electronic listings they get from these suppliers.

When you order a diamond, they immediately order the diamond from the supplier, mount it or customize it per your specifications, and then turn around and ship it to you.

"Virtual inventories" do have many advantages that get passed on to the consumer. First, each jeweler offers much more variety to the consumer. Second, there is tremendous price competition among the retailers. Third, because the jeweler does not have to purchase the diamond in advance to sell it, there are no inventory carrying costs which would increase the price of the diamond.

On the flip side, some people condemn these so-called "virtual inventories". Some of the less reputable jewelers (not the ones you listed) practice direct shipping, which means that the diamond goes straight from their supplier to you. The jeweler does not even get to see what they sell you! Related to that, if you have a question about the diamond or wish to see a specific special report, the jeweler will have to order the diamond in order to perform that report for you. Many will do that (they can always return it to the supplier if you don't buy it) but it adds 24 hours to the process.

It sounds from your post that you have identified a specific diamond you wish to buy. My advice is to look at the price, return policy, service level, and overall reputation of each of the 6 jewelers you've identified. Call them, see how they make you feel. Make your decision based on that.

"Fish and Visitors stink after three days"

Thank you very much for this explanation. I just wanted to be sure about this because we all know that the purchase of a diamond is pretty serious. I feel pretty comfortable with the six online stores I listed. I will however look into their policies first.

Be sure to call them. Talk with the staff. Who makes you the most comfortable? It often comes down to just that...

This will be really interesting. ;)

How will they answer your questions since they don't have the diamond in front of them?

Where is the location of the inclusions?

Color of the inclusions?

Size of the inclusions?

Eye-visible?

Barry
www.exceldiamonds.com
@Exceldiamonds on Twitter

Excel Diamonds on Facebook

sales@exceldiamonds.com
1-866-829-8600
1-212-921-0635

Good points Barry,

Here is another fact that decreases the likleyhood of a consumer finding a quality diamond on a 'virtual list'

The companies that buy and stock diamonds will of course buy for stock the better diamonds they are offered , such as eye clean SI-2's and eye clean SI-1's.

This means that many less desireable diamonds , Eg; the SI-1's with eye visible inclusions that the diamond buying experts 'reject' are likely to end up on the virtual lists.

Brian Knox

www.knoxjewelers.biz

Good point, Brian.

Virtual Diamonds, VD for short.

What you don't know can hurt you.

Caveat Emptor.

Barry
www.exceldiamonds.com

sales@exceldiamonds.com
1-866-829-8600
1-212-921-0635

Very goods points that I will definitely keep in mind when buying online. However I do feel quite comfortable with DOW or DiamondsOnWeb.com because their policies seem very nice. They offer a 30 day money back guarantee with no restocking fees and your choice between a credit or the money put back on the credit card you used. They also laser inscribe the diamonds with their cert number (the diamonds I have been looking at are GIA certified). They also offer a diamond exchange for 5 years, they will credit you the price of your old diamond and put that towards a better diamond of your choice. I am looking at a .44 diamond which will then be set in a platinum cathedral setting. The Diamond itself is $802 and the setting is $585 (They set it for free). So my total price is $1387. I also found that they receive the diamond first, check it out then set it and send it on it's way to me. I also have made my choice by carefully checking the cert for this diamond out on their site. The specs look good to me.

Round Brilliant

Measurements - 4.86-4.92x3.06mm

Weight - .44 Carat

Depth - 62.5%

Table - 56%

Girdle - Medium, Faceted

Culet - None

Polish - Very Good

Symmetry - Very Good

Clarity - SI2

Characteristics - Crystal - Any feedback on this would be appriciated ;)

Color - G

Fouresence - None

Comments - None

Am I making a wise choice based on the GIA cert here and their policies from what any of you can tell? I have talked to them and I feel comfortable with all of this especially since I can send it back if it turns out to be crappy.

I have been looking in local stores and most of their diamond rings in my price range are worse clarity and color than this, plus I can get it set in platinum for a good price.

I'm convinced. ;)

Barry
www.exceldiamonds.com

sales@exceldiamonds.com
1-866-829-8600
1-212-921-0635

This will be really interesting. ;)

How will they answer your questions since they don't have the diamond in front of them?

Where is the location of the inclusions?

Color of the inclusions?

Size of the inclusions?

Eye-visible?

barry,

The answers to those questions are very simple. It just requires a company, like James Allen, that is willing to bring a diamond into the office for inspection prior to sale.

Problem solved!

Jim Schultz

www.jamesallen.com

ksarson, it sounds like you did well. On this thread you also witnessed some of the controversy around this topic, straight from those who have different views (that presumably align with their practices).

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what I say or what they say. It is you, the consumer, who rules the roost. You voted with your wallet for virtual inventories. Case closed!

Now, the only thing that remains is to congratulate you on your upcoming engagement! ;)

Ben;

Read this item the other day about Benjamin Franklin's aphorism that "A penny saved, is a penny earned.

Article went on to say that Ben did, however, have to borrow money to get his business started.

Pardon this non-sequiter, thought you might find this tidbit interesting.

Regards,

Barry
www.exceldiamonds.com

sales@exceldiamonds.com
1-866-829-8600
1-212-921-0635

There's an excellent biography on Ben Franklin by Walter Isaacson. The book came out sometime last year. And yes, you are correct, he did borrow money to start his business but worked day and night until he paid it off. Ben was a bit of an eccentric, succeeding brilliantly in business, scientific endeavors, and politics, but having a somewhat disjointed marriage and personal life.

I've always admired Ben which is why I took on this name. I'm really a physics professor & scientist at a university in the midwest U.S. I specialize in semiconductor lasers but have a side interest in the diamond industry.

Who is the publisher?

Barry
www.exceldiamonds.com

sales@exceldiamonds.com
1-866-829-8600
1-212-921-0635

Hi ksarson,

I too am interested in ordering from Diamond on Web. Did you place an order with this company? If yes, what do you think of this company and the quality of the diamond?