Buying and Getting Appraisal done

allanh

From what i have learned so far on this website, it is highly recommended to get an appraisal done on a newly brought diamond. My question is how and when do most consumers get the diamond apprasied. Do they usually buy a loose diamond first, get it appraised. send it back to the seller and have the diamond setted? or Do they buy the whole diamond and the ring together and then get the appraisal? Do they usually get the diamond and bring the diamond to inspect in person? or they won't be on site during the whole process??

My understanding is it's a lot easier (better?) to have a loose diamond inspected by itself. The question is does it make that much of a difference? The reason I am asking is mainly because the extra costs to ship the diamond back and forth between the seller, the appraiser and myself. Does it worth that extra 80-100 bucks to do all that tasks? I understand this is purely optional, just want to hear what others' opionions are.

Thank You very much and :lol:

allanh,

I think most people buy the diamond and the ring together, then get the appraisal done locally on the finished item. While it is more accurate to GRADE a diamond while it is loose, there is no reason that a qualified gemologist cannot confirm that a mounted diamond matches the certificate.

If you're buying a GIA or AGS graded diamond then it's doubtful that the appraiser will have any questions/concerns about the veracity of the grading. If the stone is EGL, IGI or something along those lines then you're more likely to have issues.

I see both strategies used regularly. The decision will depend entirely on what you are hoping to learn from your appraiser.

If you are looking for more information than the dealer provided, it’s a lot better for the appraiser to examine the stone unmounted. This includes things like brilliancescope reports, Idealscope photography, Saran analysis and most other tools for analyzing the physical and optical details of the stone. Dice rolling can be done any time. If you are confident that the selling dealer accurately told you everything you need to know than this step is unnecessary. A skilled appraiser can do quite a bit with a mounted stone. Matching a diamond to a lab report is usually pretty easy.

With many of the dealers, having someone else set the stone while you have it will void your ability return it, even if you are within the appropriate schedule so if this is an important issue for you, make sure you comply with their rules.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA