Which is Best? HELP!

7emp

Hi, I 'm new to buying diamond. Pls comment on the below 3 stones and let me know which is the best. Thanks so much.... btw, this for my engagement ring - my bf & I agreed on the specs but are down to these:

Also, is H&A cut better than ideal cut? Is table size 54% too small and would it make the stone appear smaller? less brillance?

1.25ct, G, VS1, ideal cut (H&A), symmetry/polish are both EX, depth 62.1%, table 57%, medium to slightly thick girdle

or

1.27ct, G, VS1, ideal cut, symmetry/polish are both EX, depth 61.6%, table 56%, thin to medium girdle

or

1.31ct, G, VS2, ideal cut, symmetry/polish are both EX, depth 61.7%, table 54%, thin to medium girdle

All 3 of the diamonds you posted sound very nice, and very similar.

Do all 3 diamonds come with a grading from the same lab?

If so, you have without a doubt reached the point where only a physical examination & comparison among the 3 different stones will tell you which one is best.

All three are from GIA lab report.

It is difficult to see all three stones since they are online search.

I think I want a bigger stone, so narrowed it to 1.27 to 1.31. Should I drop the clarity one notch for a bigger stone - from VS1 to a VS2 and also for a smaller table %?

Definitely go for the bigger one. I'm assuming that the price among the 3 stones is roughly equivalent. The difference in clarity grade between VS1 and VS2 becomes irrelevant once it leaves the store.

You know, we spend so much time here worrying about the quality of the cut and clarity, we forget that these things matter little once the time is being worn as jewelry. When my wife talks about upgrading her diamond, she always talks about increasing the size, never about going from a VS2 to a VS1. :)

These "numbers" while virtually the same as is the designation for Polish and Symmetry tell you of the external characteristics of the diamonds but nothing of their optical properties and light performance which may differ significantly from each other.

I've enclosed a graphic which shows the "numbers" and light performance of a H&A, "Ideal" cut with EX-EX Polish and Symmetry. Note the light performance as measured by the Brillaincescope (Gemex Systems, Inc--www.gemex.com). Mediocre.

If you're spending this much money on a top flight diamond, you certainly want some additional measures of performance. The information given to you by the vendor does not provide this necessary information.

post-2-1128889617.jpg

Interpretation of idealscope images can sometimes be difficult depending on the quality of light source and it's proximity to/from the diamond.

IMO, a Brilliancescope analysis is best and most accurate.

got the sarin reports for both...why does the sarin rpt differ from the GIA rpt? Is this common. I'm starting to think that something is not quite right here.

For the 1.27ct, the sarin rpt has the following:

1.263ct

61.9% depth

56.9%depth

33.9 crown angle

41.2 pavillon angle

Plugging this to the HCA, it scored Very Good all across for Light Return, Fire, Scintillation and Spread. Total Visual Performance of 2.8

For the 1.31ct, the sarin reads:

1.32tct

62% depth

53.4%depth

35.2 crown angle

40.7 pavillon angle

Plugging this to the HCA, it scored Excellent for Light Return, Fire, Scintillation and Ver Good on Spread. Total Visual Performance of 1.5

How accurate is the HCA? Looking at the HCA results, the 1.31ct looks much more appealing even though it has small table %.

Please give opinions on which is better?

Thanks.

"How accurate is the HCA?" You ask.

The HCA evaluates only 17 of the 58 facets that comprise the round brilliant cut.

Maxed diamond optical performance depends on the proper alignment of all 58 facets.

The author of the HCA is on record as stating that the HCA is a rejection tool, not a pick tool. If you're comfortable spending thousands of dollars based on partial information, fine. Would you buy a home based on an engineer's partial report?

The 1.27 doesn’t meet the classic definition of ‘ideal’ cut and the 1.31 may not although this doesn’t preclude either from being lovely.

Here’s the AGS rules:

(the old ones. The new ones are considerably more complicated):

53-57% table

34-35.5 degree crown angle

42.5-43.5% pavilion depth

Thin - Slightly thick Girdle

None - Medium culet

Symmetry – Ideal

Polish - Ideal

The comparison of the HCA to an engineering report strikes me as pretty good. What you’re getting is a free ‘drive by’ appraisal. It’s providing you with the square footage, the bathroom count, the roof type and a few other details. All of this is handy to know but it’s not a very complete picture of your new home. This is why it’s most useful as a rejection tool. If you are shopping for a home and you must have 3 bathrooms or you must be in a particular school district, it’s a quick way of separating out the unlikely prospects so you can narrow down your choices. In the end, you will need to take a look at it and you're likely to want a termite inspection.

The difference between the data on the GIA report and the Sarin is because of the inherent margin of error in the equipment and the rounding that happens at the end. Sarin promotes their tools as being accurate to 0.02mm for multiple measurements of the same stone with the same machine. When different machines are used, this increases slightly because of variations in calibration. Some measurements are more reliable than others. Table diameter is the most problematic because of the way the machine works. GIA, by the way, uses Sarin equipment to measure the stones in their labs. The estimated weight supplied on the Sarin report is calculated from the dimensions while the weight on the lab report was generated using a scale. It’s not unusual for them to be slightly different.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

Pretty similar specs on all three based on a table percentage and total depth. The only way for anyone to tell you which one would be to actually test each stone for light performance or at least look at the stones and compare them side by side. If you are dealing with a virtual lister the chances of that happening aren't too good.The differences can actually be quite large. The HCA really only takes a total depth, table average, crown average and pavilion average into effect. Basically it won't tell you anything about the look of the stone since there are 57 facets on the diamond and it's only giving averages of each part of the diamond and leaving out all the main info about the diamond. You would probably have better luck thowing the dice.

I was told that most online vendors do not and will not offer brilliant scope results. even if they do that, it will take 3 to 4 weeks to get the result and you have to pay for the cost of the test. plus most of them do not offer ideal scope pics unless you commit to buy the diamond. with all that said, it 's vitually impossible to tell whether it's a good diamond or not (even with the GIA and sarin report) unless you look at the diamond in person. But then, when you get the diamond home in front of you, as a normal consumer, we dont have the equipment to test the diamonds. only by looking at the diamond using our eye, it 's impossible to tell if it's a good Diamond or not.

I guess roll a dice is the way to go, your thought?

'Most' is certainly true but not really all that important. By all means, buy from a dealer who can and will provide you with the sorts of information you require to make a comfortable and informed decision.

You're correct that brilliancescope reports aren't free but they aren't all that hard to get either. Some dealers really like them and will do the scans on thier entire inventory before they ever present a stone to you while others won't do it at all because of the added effort and expense. The manufacturer of the equipment is actively soliciting new dealers and if customers start demanding it, dealers will start supplying it. For now, their market penetration is pretty low.

Idealscope pictures are fast and free but it takes a fair amount of practice to learn to do it well. As with the above, some of the dealers have gone through the trouble to learn to do it in a standardized way and are thrilled to explain what their images mean while others will offer up an image that means nothing or simply refuse to give you the information at all.

It's worth noting that in both cases, either the dealer must have physical posession of the stone or they must have cooperation from whoever does in order to comply with your requests. If they are refusing to supply something that you require, it may be as simple an issue as that they don't have it and can't get it.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

I don't recommend specific vendors but there are several who are regulars here that speak highly of the brilliancescope. Try the search box at the bottom of the page to bring up posts where people have discussed it. The manufacturer is Gemex and they may be able to recommend a few of their customers. The fans of the IdealScope aren't as vocal here but the manufacturer here may be able to point you towards someone who uses their tools.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

We have had the Brilliancescope in-house for close to 5 years and display these reports on our website. We also display Imagescope (Idealscope reports) for our listed diamonds.

Thank you all for your comments!

We decided to get the 1.31 with the better HCA result. My bf feel that we probably won't go wrong with either one of these two.

Long story short, the ring arrived yesterday morning! Unfortunately, I am not in town to see it personally ;) My bf didn't get to see the ring until late last night when he got back home from a very long day at work. He told me the ring is absolutely beautiful and I would love it. After that, he just went to sleep :lol:

This morning, I found these pictures in my inbox and am absolutely delighted :P My bf is soooooooo sweet - he woke up bright and early on a Saturday morning and took some ring pictures to show me, which i will share with all of you :) He will bring the ring up to NY to show me next week and we will get the ring appraise in NY. Any recommendations on NY appraisers?

post-2-1129396813.jpg