damaged diamond - diamond resetting

Guest Hrod

I recently had a diamond ring reset. In the process, the jeweler used a saw-like instrument to remove the diamond from the original setting. Is that a standard procedure to remove a diamond from the prongs of a ring setting? Secondly, after the stone was removed, the salesperson told me that my diamond was chipped. I was unaware of that but questioned if that happened when the stone was removed. I told them to set it anyway. After having the diamond set in the new setting, I examined my stone, now in the setting, under the microscope. I noticed a second chip now. The second one was not shown to me when I was notified about the first chip when the stone was removed from the first setting. I looked at the first setting, and the places where the stone is chipped are the exact locations where the prongs were "sawed off" from the setting. I am in the process of dealing with the jewelry store. They are denying the damage and saying that the second chip is not on the surface but in the stone. I am to bring in an appraisal I have for the ring. The appraisal is an old one that doesn't show any damage or even a map or picture of the stone. Can you please advise me ASAP, as I am meeting with the jewelry store managers on Thursday? Thanks so much for you advise!

Hrod.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

For starters, find an independent appraiser and ask them about the nature and extent of the damage. It’s usually pretty easy to tell the difference between a chip and an internal inclusion in the stone. It’s quite possible that if it's damaged, this is a covered loss under your insurance policy. This will, of course, depend on the details of your policy but check with your agent. This sort of concern is part of the reason for getting a professional appraisal at the beginning instead of relying on seller supplied advertising materials that may be included with your purchase, even if your insurance company is willing to accept it. Not all appraisals are equally useful.

There are several different ways to pull a diamond from a mounting but a saw is pretty typical and usually the best. It’s the safest for the diamond but kind of destructive to the mounting. I’m not surprised that the damage was underneath a prong, this is standard setting practice. When the original piece was made, if there was a chip on the stone, I would expect the jeweler to want to hide it under a prong if possible. They have to cover up something, it might as well be the ugliest part of the stone. Most jewelers will inspect carefully for this before they start work on a piece and look for exactly this issue but they may have skipped this step or simply been unable to see it.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

I'm with Neil on the saw technique.. It is by far the safest way to remove a diamond from a setting but does almost the most damage to the setting possible.. Bending back the prongs is another method that is used a lot on round diamonds, but I hate to do that with fancy shapes.. Too much risk to the points on the stone..

If he took the time and care to use a saw to remove your stone it would be extremely unlikely that the stone chipped during that proceedure.. Diamonds will destroy saw blades in an instant while a saw blade will leave absolutely no marks on the diamond at all..

Steve

A jewelers saw is unlikely to cause damage to a diamond with SI clarity or better, but could possibly cause damage to a diamond with significant or open inclusions near the girdle.

Do you know the clarity grade of the diamond and whether or not it had significant inclusions near the girdle that may be a risk to the integrity of the stone?