Price OK?

Greg_S

I'll tell you, buying a bigger diamond can be very frustrating.

I think I have it narrowed down to a 1.96 round SI1, H with VG polish and Sym, no flour, but with a 63% table. its dia is 7.98

They offered it to me for $13,795.00. They are also giving me a pretty good deal on making the setting for me.

The stone looks great to me, but them again I can't see any difference between it and a 2.01 VS2 H, so what do I know?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

I can relate to your frustrations. But imagine what it was like prior to the Internet!

For what it's worth, the price you're quoting sounds ballpark, and the stone sounds like a beauty. If you're done the homework of looking at several stones side-by-side and this one looks the best to you, then I'd say you've found your diamond!

I guess I have the newbie question of why a GIA certified diamond would be better than a EGL diamond.

May be a little late to answer your question but GIA is the industry's most reputable diamond certification company. There are others including EGL and their certs are not any less credible.

There are others including EGL and their certs are not any less credible.

Anyone who wants to can describe themselves as a lab but this does not make them credible, nor does it mean that their opinions are useful. None of them are certifying anything but some are more consistent in their application of their grading scales than others. It's a serious mistake to assume that they are all describing the same things in the same way. EGL and GIA don't even use the same scales or methodology. The presence of an EGL-Israel document doesn't make it a bad stone any more than the presence of a GIA document will make it a good one. Buy the diamond, not the paper.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

The presence of an EGL-Israel document doesn't make it a bad stone any more than the presence of a GIA document will make it a good one.  Buy the diamond, not the paper.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

Neil;

I have to disagree with you. There are qualitative differences between grading labs and the Reports they issue.

GIA has a reputation for accurate, consistent, and stringent color/clarity grading that is not approached by EGL.

Color, clarity, and the accuracy in which they are reported affect price. "Good" and Bad" are subjective and outside the purview of the current GIA reports.

GIA "paper" carries a deserved price premium specifically due to their excellence in grading/reporting. A consumer can be confident that they are paying for the color/clarity as reported. EGL color/clarity grades have been known to be off by as much as two grades and therefore your recommendation to buy "the diamond, not the paper" in the case of an EGL reported stone may very well result in the consumer paying more money for less diamond.

Let’s make up an example: GIA J-SI2. EGL H-SI1. Same stone, different paper. Which is worth more?

I am suggesting that they both should be about the same. The dealer selling the EGL version is likely to try and get more for it and this would be a fine reason to avoid buying but it’s not because the stone is inferior. It’s the same stone. The problem is with the documentation and possibly the pricing. The stone is what it is and if the customer is buying the stone on it’s own merits, it will make very little difference which report is included.

Now lets pick another example: GIA H-SI1. EGL H-SI1. Same stone, different paper. Which is worth more?

EGL got lucky on this one but even so the stone will probably be sold for less money because it’s accompanied by an EGL report. I do see correctly graded stones with EGL documentation from time to time. If the customer is buying on the merits of the stone instead of on the merits of the lab report then there is a potential bargain represented here for a customer who is willing to go through the trouble to find it.

I fully agree that GIA is both more consistent and more stringent in their grading and that the premium that they command is deserved because it makes the shopping process so much easier but it doesn’t change the properties of the stone to have it accompanied by an inaccurate lab report or even no report at all. In this second example, the stone with the GIA grading is worth more because the report does add value but whether its worth the premium being asked will depend on how much that premium is, the buyers tollerance for risk and similar variables that are not part of the gemological properties of the stone.

"Good" and Bad" are subjective and outside the purview of the current GIA reports.

I agree.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

Neil;

Your approach is good in theory, but in practice the consumer goes by what he sees on the Lab report.

GIA-J/SI-2 is light years removed from an EGL H-SI-1. While theoretically they may be the very same diamond, practically and psychologically to the consumer they are two distinctly different diamonds which will influence their decision in terms of purchase and also the type of setting.

H color is considered white, whereas J is considered "warm" and tinged with coloration, the extent of which is determined by the stones's Cut Quality.

Essentially, the consumer is looking at two entirely different diamonds.

I wish that GIA would have patented their grading system because it is so misused by so many other labs and people.

A GIA VS2 H is not the same as an EGL one or IGI or NGL.

That is the common perception that a VS2 H is the same no matter which lab graded it, but nothing could be further from the truth.

Stick with GIA if you want to get a stone that has accurate grading.