black diamond

dracula77

"Better" is a matter of taste but clear diamonds are a whole lot more expensive and a whole lot more popular.

I've never heard of a diamond being graded AAA but there is no standardized grading scale for black diamonds. There have been several discussions about them that you can look up using the search box at the bottom of the page.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

AAA grade is a homemade grade.. They aren't used much any more.. But in the days before grading labs many jewelrs made up their own grades, usually a variation of A, AA, and AAA with AAA being the 'finest quality diamond you can buy'.. Since the gem labs have tried to apply some measure of a standard to grading diamonds the practice of self grading sin't too common..

Feydakin,

I've never seen a lab report on a black diamond so I'm not sure how they would address the grading scale. Blacks would generally be called 'fancy' because they are outside the usual grading rules but the usual words to describe fancy diamonds like, vivid and intense really don't seem to apply.

The real problem is that blacks are usually priced low enough that it would make no sense to pay the lab a fee to describe them. Up until a few years ago, these were almost all used for industrial purposes and it's only relatively recently that anyone has seriously tried to sell them for jewelry uses.

I certainly agree that ignoring the grading entirely is appropriate unless the person using the term is prepared to provide an explanation. Tere is no way of knowing what AAA is measuring and whether this is good, bad or indifferent. Is there an AAAAA? Is that better or worse? For eggs, this would be a unit of size, what's it measuring in this sellers diamonds?

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

what's it measuring in this sellers diamonds?

How much profit he can milk??

I'm not sure what he could be referring to either.. I wonder if paying for a sarin report on a black diamond would be appropriate just to get cut angles, etc.. But then a good appraiser could check that without a sarin machine as well..