Quality of cut?

cowgirlblue

We are in the market for an engagement ring and have decided upon a princess cut center diamond. I saw one a couple of weeks ago that seemed to sparkle and looked pretty in the jeweler's store. I looked at the GIA report and to the best of my recollection, it was as follows:

Shape: Princess

Carat: 1.28

Color: F

Clarity: VS1

Depth: 75.5%

Table: 77%

Polish: Good

Symmetry: Very Good

Girdle: Thin to Medium

Flourescence: Medium Blue

Culet: None

My questions are:

Does this seem to be a well cut diamond based upon the report? (Can you tell from the report?)

What would a reasonable price be for this diamond at a small jewelry shop downtown in the jewlery district? The owner has spent a lot of time with us and my boyfriend has used this place before and likes it.

Is there a place on the report that tells if the cut is good, very good or excellent?

One thing that bothered me a bit is the jeweler said the diamond was "ideal cut", but I didn't think that Princess shape diamonds could conform to an "ideal cut."

Thank you for any information.

Cowgirlblue,

Does this seem to be a well cut diamond based upon the report? (Can you tell from the report?)

GIA reports don’t contain cut grading information. Some basic information is included about some of the dimensions and ratios but this is for purposes of identifying an individual stone, not cut grading it. Cut grading princesses is a pretty new subject and most gemologists aren’t very good at it.

What would a reasonable price be for this diamond at a small jewelry shop downtown in the jewlery district? The owner has spent a lot of time with us and my boyfriend has used this place before and likes it.

Shop it against similar stones in the neighborhood shops. Most of these jewelry districts have quite a few diamond dealers that are close together and are relatively easy to shop against one another. Be careful that you are comparing properly. Different labs uses different grading scales for example. You can save quite a bit of headache if you stick with AGS & GIA. Hardsell tactics are pretty common in these places and you will be wise to resist. There’s quite a bit to be said for shopping with a store that you like and that you’ve got reason to trust. Picking the right dealer goes a long way towards making this a pleasant experience.

Is there a place on the report that tells if the cut is good, very good or excellent?

No

One thing that bothered me a bit is the jeweler said the diamond was "ideal cut", but I didn't think that Princess shape diamonds could conform to an "ideal cut."

“Ideal” is a term used by AGS on their reports and a few months ago they started applying it princess cuts. AGS graded ideal princess cuts are still very unusual and they sell for a healthy premium but they do exist. GIA doesn’t use this term at all and they have no scale for cut quality on anything other than round brilliant cuts (which isn't mentioned on their reports yet). There are others who throw around terms like this pretty loosely and they will each mean something different. If the stone isn't accompanied by an AGS report declaring it's idealness, I recomend you ignore this claim.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

I think you've just said a mouthful. You've found a jeweler you can trust and you have obviously established a mutual relationship. If you're having doubts about the actual stone (which to me seems like a nice diamond at a reasonable price), you should voice your concerns to your jeweler and give them an opportunity to address it.

As for comparing prices, use the "find online jeweler" function on this website to look at prices from a variety of jewelers. Keep in mind that an online jeweler will usually be a little cheaper than a traditional shop; the difference in price is that you're able to see what you're buying if you go the traditional way.