diamond proportions

damo

So I got carried away on a trip to kalimantan and met a dealer when i was rummaging around the diamond mines. Ok I took a risk and returned from indonesia with 2.13 carat diamond and my heart in my hand.

Tried to resell in but most dealers stated that although it was a nice looking stone, the proportions are poor, with the crown angles too steep.

So i paid for a cert from the gem testing laboratory of great britain ( registered with the world jewellry confederation (CIBJO) which came back with the following report-

Style of cut : modified Square Brilliant

Carat weight: 2.13

Colour Grade: G

Clarity Grade: VS 2

Measurements: 7.05 x 6.74 x 5.36 mm

Flourescence: None

Depth: 79.5 %

Table: 59%

Girdle: extremely thin to thick

Symmetry: good

Polish: very good

Comments: crown angles are greater than 40 degrees.

Is it worth considering a re-cut to better crown angles or will i loose too much weight? How much does cutting cost in the west? How do I convince a buyer that it is worth purchasing when the comments regarding the crown angles are putting him/her off?

any advice to a novice diamond dealer greatfully received

First, pay attention to your market. Who will you be selling to? How will you find them? Why should they buy from you instead of one of your competitors?

The answers to these and similar questions about the nature of your aspiring diamond business should help in your decision. Not every dealer does equally well with every kind of stone. Estimating recutting can be a complicated business and requires much more information than you’ve supplied. The advice usually isn’t free and it won’t be available from anyone who can’t carefully examine the stone in person. Crown angle is not the only problem with this stone. Extremely thin girdle and good symmetry are both very bad signs. There may be others.

Chances are good that you are going to lose money on this deal so be prepared. When the Indonesian dealer told you that importing diamonds was an easy to make money, they lied. The usual solution to your dilemma is to drop the price. Probably by quite a bit. Good cutting is not the top of everyone’s list and price regularly is. Some folks are looking for that 2 ct. size with a minimum price tag and a poorly cut princess is the perfect choice. How do you find that customer? That's why I started out with the questions I did. Selling is a whole lot harder than buying.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA