diamond or not

jim23

• 2 weeks later...

Hermann,

I think the reason we get this question so often is because of the link at the bottom of the tutorial titled “Questions? Ask our community” When people click this, they are sent directly to the screen where they are posting a question without first getting the opportunity to view the forum. I recommend you change this link to point at http://www.diamond.info/forum/ so that people will have the opportunity to read previously answered questions before they post theirs.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

You are right of course, but one of the considerations I need to weigh is the interest in drawing visitors to participate in the forum by making it very easy to ask questions. We have a significant level of traffic -- "lurkers" -- in our forum, but not as much discussion as I would like or that I think would be indicative of the level of traffic we get.

I've had several 1-on-1 exchanges with our visitors, and the #1 raised hurdle to making that first post is the fear of asking a "stupid question" or saying something "stupid". That same group of people also tells me that they benefit tremendously from the interaction & responses they get here, so participation is in their own best interest, once they get over the hurdle of making that first post.

Granted, the "how can I tell if this diamond is real" question is getting quite old! :o

Any suggestions on how to balance the desire to draw visitors into active discussion and at the same time stem the flow of repeated questions?

Hermann,

Sure.

Have the ‘ask the community’ links lead to the main forum page.

Put the search box at the top of every page, including the main one.

Eliminate the poll feature because no one uses it anyway and it just adds clutter.

Put a button with a link to a page that contains specific instructions on using the forum, syntax rules for using the search, community rules etc. prominently at the top of the main page, right next to the search box. It will demystify the whole process.

Add a common questions or FAQ section that links directly to what you think are some of the best thought out answers to the most common, or even just most interesting questions. Link to this from both the forum and from the tutorials.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

All good suggestions, Neil. I decided to re-organize the forums and add a FAQ forum, polls are gone too. Let me know what you think. Many of the suggestions you made will take a little more time but will be done soon, particularly relocating the Search box. Whoever designed this forum software made some egregious User Interface mistakes! But never fear, we will correct them soon.

I like it better.

Can you put a forum instruction set where you've got the 'Diamond Review latest news' link?

Just a random thought. Most of these programs will have a space at the top for you to insert an advertising banner and you can insert a site specific search bar there instead. You'll probably get a better search engine this way anyway.

Neil