Marquise - Ideal Cut?

adidaz3223

My brother-in-law is upgrading my sister's engagement ring for their 5 year anniversary. This web site has really educated me on diamonds and I came to find that the ring they had purchased from CR Jewelers for $1600 was really worth $800. Now that he is upgrading I offered my help and the good thing is the store will give him $1600 credit towards a new ring.

Does anyone have an idea of what the depth and table percentages should be on a Marquise Ideal or Very Good cut diamond? I always felt the one they had bought before did not have that "fire" or "sparkle" to it and here's why:

IGI Certified

.51 carat

Marquise

D color

I1 Clarity

Polish/Symmetry Good/Good

IGI does not state depth or table or culet or ridge info. Who knows what's going on there!

I feel bad they were taken by a known jewelry store but I guess that's what happens when you don't educate yourself before a purchase. Hopefully CR Jewelers do actually carry GIA certified diamonds otherwise there will some heartache. This new ring will be:

GIA Certified

1.0 - .90 carat

Marquise

D-F color

IF - VVS2

Ideal - Very Good Cut

Yes, it will cost a pretty penny: $6000-7500. But my sister deserves it. :-)

Look for a length to width ratio in the range of 1.8:1 - to - 2:1, a pleasing shape with finely sloping shoulders as they approach the points and that are symmetrical to the center.

Table and depth are highly variable as several combinations will result in a pleasing high light performance stone.

The stone should have a bit of butterfly pattern in the center as this increases contrast and reduces the glassy opaque look.

Thank you much Barry. But what do you mean by a butterfly pattern? I'm not all to familiar with Marquise since I will be getting my girl a round stone and those are easier to dicepher.

There really is no easy way of knowing or dimensional way of knowing if you have a great cut on a Marquise is there?

Also, just how good/bad are IGI certs? Do these people have any clout?

Marquise cuts don't really have a set of proportions for 'ideal' but the specs that Barry gave are a good guideline. Not everyone likes the same things and the design of the ring may have something to do with what shape is best.

IGI is a huge company and their reports are in stores everywhere. I suppose you could call that clout.

The National Enquirer is in every grocery store and convenience mart in America but I still don't believe what they have to say.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

IGI is a huge company and their reports are in stores everywhere. I suppose you could call that clout.

The National Enquirer is in every grocery store and convenience mart in America but I still don't believe what they have to say.

Fabulous analogy. Very well put! B)