is this price cheap? 2.5 carat H VS1, GSL lab?

gcvu

A lab grading report lists an opinion about some of the important attributes of a stone. The very first thing to ask if you are going to rely on such documents is "What is the credibility of the person/company giving this opinion and why should I believe what they say?" If you can't answer this to your satisfaction, you should ignore the report in it's entirety. Labs are not all the same and it's extremely easy to invent a lab, design a cool looking report and start producing laminated certificates that say whatever the customer (meaning the seller) wants. There's quite a bit of money to be made in mis-grading diamonds for both the 'labs' and their customers and there is a major industry that revolves around this.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

I've never heard of them or seen a stone accompanied by one of their reports. Their parent company in Canada gets mixed reviews from Canadian customers. I go back to my previous advice. If you don't have some good reason to trust them - don't rely on what they have to say. www.gia.edu and www.agslab.com are, by a lot, the most respected labs in the US. All others should be viewed with caution unless you are personally familiar with them and you have reason to value their opinion. Even those two don't give all of the information required by many customers to make an informed shopping decision but they are a good place to start. Being new or less well known doesn't make a lab wrong but it's good reason to be cautious. It's up to them to convince you that their opinion is useful. Start by assuming that it's not.

A general observation: When I see stones with reports issued by minor labs where I disagree with the grading, 99% of the time, the grade on the report is too high, not too low. Sometimes it's by quite a bit.

Another observation: Many of the least reliable labs have very official looking reports and websites.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

There is nothing like enough information to make a value opinion. I won't comment on the value of a stone that I haven't seen and without understanding what marketplace is being discussed anyway but there's not enough for even a careless guess (I won't make such a guess but there are others here who might).

To summarize, what we know is:

It weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.50-2.51cts

It might be H color

It might be VS1 or VS2 clarity

For me this leaves far to much room to answer your question in any way that will be useful to you. Anyone else care to take a stab at it?

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

sale for 15k, is this a good deal? thanks

Sure, its a great deal if it is a 2.50 ct. H/VS-1

But, unless you are privy to some black market diamond deals it is likley not as stated, which would mean it is not the deal you thought.

If a jeweler were to pay the market rate for a 2.50 ct. H/VS-1

Most would insist that it have a GIA grading report.

Brian

Thanks so much for all you help.....wow, I 've learned so much about diamond here, in one day, unbelievable.

More info on the diamond I asked earlier:

2.51carat, H, GSL certified, sold from a jewelry store on 47th st. in N.Y

Depth %: 63.2%

Table %: 56.9%

Symmetry: Good

Polish: Good

Culet: None

Cut: Very Good

Fluorescence: None

Up at the top of the page under 'find online jeweler' is a search utility for scanning offers for sale by online dealers based on some of the criteria of a diamond. Search for stones 2.50-2.51 H VS1. I get 4 hits that differ by almost $10,000 between some highly competitive dealers.

Now do another search. Try the same size range but change the color to J and the clarity to SI1. Pretty different results huh? Can you tell the difference between an H-VS1 and a J-SI1? Most people can't. Can GSL?

That's why the credibility of the lab is so important.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

I didn't answer the question. Brian advised you that it was a good deal if it was accurately graded. I'm just demonstrating why the grading question is such an important subject.

The dealers here seem to like EGL and GIA. All of the same rules apply to them as what I'm telling you for GSL. Don't take my word for it, research the labs. Try Google for things like 'EGL vs GIA' and read some of the old discussions here. This topic comes up a fair amount.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA