yet another diamond

supanove

:D hi there!

Thank you so much for all of you guys valuable advice.... I just saw this piece of diamond today and I have paid a minimal deposit... however, if it's a red flag or it's too pricey, please let me know... i don't want to feel ripped-off after the purchase....

Cost: USD6185

Carat: 1.07

Colour: G

Clarity: VS2

Culet: Pointed

Girdle: Medium 3.5%

Depth: 57.5%

Table: 60%

Dimensions: 6.7-6.74mm x 3.82mm

Fluorecense: Medium

Comments: HRD certified, no laser inscription. Inclusions: only a red circle on the pavillion but the cert didn't state what the inclusion is.

Additional: I find this piece of stone is a bit on the shallow side, however, it looks quite sparkly to my untrained eyes (underneath the table :D ).... Any any advice is much welcome... as I don't have much time, they are expecting me to pay up in the next 2 days....

Thank you sooo much! :wub:

This one seems way to shallow to me. Most of the stones that I've seen under 60% total depth didn't have all that great of light performance. Also I would stick with a GIA lab report if possible. Circle of red could be a cloud, or crystal depending on how large it is.

or would you say this is a better diamond, in terms of value & everything? This diamond is from another jeweller. It is abt USD700 more expensive than the first one...

Cost: approx. USD 6890

Colour: G

Clarity: VS2

Fluo: None

Girdle: Thin to medium

Depth: 62.5%

Table: 59%

Polish: VG

Proportions: VG

Dimensions: 6.4mm - 6.44mm x 4.02mm

Carat: 1.04

Comments: HRD cert. Inclusions is also a red circle on the pavillion.

Thanks

1. is a HRD cert. not as valuable as a GIA cert? I was informed that they are all the same, as in independent and internationally recognised lab....

It’s not the lab report that makes one diamond more valuable than another and there are both excellent and terrible stones examined by all the labs. The problem is that you are hoping to look at the lab report and learn some important information about the stone that will help you in making a decision. HRD has a reputation for being less consistent than GIA in their grading. There are several other labs with far worse reputations. This doesn’t make them wrong any more than it makes GIA right but for a stone that you can’t see it’s a way of increasing your chances of getting exactly what you are expecting. This isn’t all bad for buying HRD graded stones. All other things being equal, stones with an HRD report are usually a little bit cheaper because of it. The shopping exercise is a little more difficult with the more unusual reports and there are occasionally other fees to consider like professional appraisals and shipping for more than one stone that can be minimized by sticking with the top tier labs.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

I'm going to guess from your correct spelling of the word 'colour' that you are in Europe. The UK has an import tax on diamonds that I'm led to believe is considerable and is above and beyond the VAT that applies to the entire EU. If you're going to compare US prices with a local dealer, make sure to take this into consideration.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

hi... thanks for all your advices. I am actually from Malaysia (South East Asia) and I am unsure what my country taxes are... however, according to the jeweller, I am given a 19% discount on Rappaport price. So I don't know if it's good or bad.

Anyway, I will take your advices and try and negotiate a better price for the diamond or maybe choose another piece (see if he has anything else available) as I need this ring quite urgently.... thanks a lot again! B)