what is carton?

anisha

I always thought ct stands for 'carat', but lately a few people have told me it actually stands for 'carton', and is a nounce for measurements.

When I think of carton, I will think of the hard-paper like material, but I have never heard of another meaning of 'carton' and the association with diamonds before.

So I thought, maybe you write 'carton' in a different way, but when I browsed the internet for information concerning diamonds, I couldn't find any word that sounds similar to 'carton'.

Can anyone explain me this? It is quite urgent, since I need this information for my project at work. Thanks!

Anisha,

I wish that I could be of more assistance, but I'm not sure as to where the terminology "carton" stems from. To my knowledge, "ct" is an abbreviation that is used for "carat weight". Another abbreviation that you may come across is "cttw" which stands for "carat total weight". I noticed that you mentioned that this information was being used for a project that you are working on. So here is some more information that you be of use to your project. Good luck....

:D

====================================================================================================

Carat is a term that refers to the weight of a diamond. Before the twentieth century, diamonds were measured by using the carob seed that is small and uniform and served as a perfect counter weight to the diamond. It is those original carob seeds, which are the origin of the word carat we use today. The majority of diamonds used in jewelry and sold loose in the United States are one carat or less in weight. The average engagement ring diamond sold in the US is less than 1/2ct in weight.

When rough diamonds are cut and polished into finished diamonds, as much as 2/3rd of the total carat weight is lost. Because larger gem quality rough is found less frequently than smaller rough, a two carat diamond will be far more expensive than two one carat diamonds of the same quality.

A diamond will increase in weight much faster than it increases in actual "face-up" diameter. While an ideal cut one-carat diamond measures approximately 6.5mm in width, a diamond of twice its weight is only 8.2mm wide - less than a 30% increase.

When deciding on which carat size is best for you, there are many things to consider. First and foremost, however, are your expectations. If you’re not sure, ask a close friend or relative for advice. When determining carat it's also helpful to consider things such as your own personal style, finger size, and the limitations of the engagement ring.

====================================================================================================

A carton is what they pack the cutlets into before shipment to the USDA for certification

B)

Yes, and you should always go with USDA certification. There are many lesser-quality certs out there (such as EDA (European) or IDA (International)), and also beware of copycat certifications out there such as USSDA or UDA. Stick with USDA.

:lol:

Do they (USDA) use the aset-scope? B):lol:

It may be useful for measuring out a single cutlet serving of marinade but it would be unethical for an independent lab to align themselves with a particular brand of sauce and the ideal serving size is not the same across all brands.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

• Like 1