Chip in Diamond - HELP!!!

cmsinger98

Hi, I just received a diamond that my fiance ordered online for me for our engagement. I received it Monday, and we just realized that it has a small chip by one of the prongs. It is a princess cut, F, VS2 diamond...... and I am aware that this sometimes happens during the setting process. I have contacted the jeweler about this (have not heard back from them yet) but do not want to give up the ring because it was such a momentous occasion. What do you think a fair way to resolve this is? Get some money back for the flaw? Is there any chance that this chip is likely to spread? Should I just get a new diamond (last resort, only if future chipping is likely)? Please help!!!!

A chip is a grade setting inclusion. For a stone to properly stay within the VS2 clarity grade, it needs to be a VERY small chip. Assuming that it was graded prior to the damage and that it was otherwise properly graded, I would expect it to have dropped at least a grade and possibly more. In other words, they told you that what you got was a VS2-F and this is probably not the case. When the damage occurred and by whom is irrelevant to the issue as long as it was prior to you taking delivery. Documentation, like a lab report, that was prepared prior to the damage is no longer applicable because it’s not a correct description of the stone. If you’re still happy with the stone, the ring and the deal, none of this is a definite deal killer but you should get it checked out immediately. As you point out, it may be important.

The question about risk of further damage is an important one and it requires both examining the stone and without some experience at this. It’s important that you speak with your jeweler about it and you should do it quickly. Important issues include:

1) Do you have the right to return it? How long do you have to think about it? This deadline is important. Mark it on your calendar.

2) Is the problem that caused the chip still there? In most cases where the setter chips the stone, it’s because they didn’t cut the seat properly in the prong in the first place. If the prong is still defective than you have increased risk for further damage.

3) What is the repair possibility? The way insurance companies address this is to estimate the cost to remove the stone, recut it, regrade it, reset it and repair any damage caused to the mounting from the process. The loss is measured as the cost for all of this plus the reduction in value of the stone.

Get it examined by a gemologist who isn’t involved in this deal. It’s best if you can find someone who isn’t in the business of competing with the jeweler and who knows something about settings, not just diamonds. Get their opinion in writing. Get a current grading, a damage valuation and a professional opinion about the risk of future damage.

Talk to the jeweler. today.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

• 3 weeks later...