Girdle?

sampsonjw

Hello every one...how important is girdle uniformity, and thickness? I just bought a diamond from a local jeweler. i had concerns about the girdle on my diamond, and how it will affect the look, value and mounting. He said that it doesn' t really matter, but i'm not really sure i trust what he is telling me. here are the spec on my diamond. thanks for any info you can share~Joe

GIA... Round Brilliant

Measurement-6.46-6.52x3.98mm

weight 1.01c

depth 61.3

table 56

Girdle verythin to slightly thick, Fac

Polish Ex

Sym VG

Clarity grade SI1

Color F

Flo None

Price payed $5,600

He's right. Unless the girdle is super thin or very thick, the effect of girdle thickness is neglible. The values on the cert are the minimum to maximum.

Check the comments section of the Cert and see if there are any comments pertaining to the girdle such as 'indented naturals', etc that may warrant a closer look. Otherwise you're OK.

Just as an aside question to you: If you don't trust what this jeweler has been telling you, why did you give him thousands of your dollars?

thanks for the the response Barry. i appreciate it. As far as your question goes...its kind of a long story. i bought a tacori ring from this jeweler, as they are the only ones that carry that line in my area. that being said i just wanted to do everything in one place. I pretty much told them what i wanted for a diamond, and he got two diamonds in for me to look at. One of them was not even the right color, and the other had an inclusion close to the surface right in the middle of the table. this was supposed to be an SI1, but i could see it a mile away. keep in mind i am not even close to a diamond expert...little did he know, i have done a lot of research. he had a faxed copy of an EGL repor that i could barely read that said it was an FSI1...i was pissed, and told him to never show me a diamond like that again. he sai he couldn't see the inclusion by eye, and that I must have good eyes to see it...b.s. after that he tried to sell me the H color SI1 that he knew it didn't want. long story short...i talked to the owner then next day, and the diamond i listed was the one they came up with

thanks for the the response Barry. i appreciate it. As far as your question goes...its kind of a long story. i bought a tacori ring from this jeweler, as they are the only ones that carry that line in my area. that being said i just wanted to do everything in one place. I pretty much told them what i wanted for a diamond, and he got two diamonds in for me to look at. One of them was not even the right color, and the other had an inclusion close to the surface right in the middle of the table. this was supposed to be an SI1, but i could see it a mile away. keep in mind i am not even close to a diamond expert...little did he know, i have done a lot of research. he had a faxed copy of an EGL repor that i could barely read that said it was an FSI1...i was pissed, and told him to never show me a diamond like that again. he sai he couldn't see the inclusion by eye, and that I must have good eyes to see it...b.s. after that he tried to sell me the H color SI1 that he knew it didn't want. long story short...i talked to the owner then next day, and the diamond i listed was the one they came up with

That's the problem with buying ~ SI2-VS2 clarity diamonds because there's no guarantee that the inclusions won't be visible to the naked eye and the general consensus is to urge everyone to look at the diamond prior to purchase.

On a second note since this is a EGL report it's very likely indeed that it's a SI2 G/H diamond if GIA were to look at it.

If there are visible inclusions through the table then it should be a SI2 if we purely stick to the SI range (1 & 2).

In a worst case scenario it might of been even a I1/P1 clarity diamond.

i agree Gforce. that is what i told the jeweler. i also told him that i only wanted to see GIA or AGS cert diamonds. the one they finally got me is the one with the specs i wrote out. i didn't purchace then diamond before i saw it. i was just concerned about the girdle not being uniform al the way around