Reverse Engineer

The Duck

Duck,

Some of the important measurements, like pavilion angle, are a little difficult to measure without the proper tools but the basic dimensions of the stone can be done with a millimeter guage. Be careful when you measure the depth that you don't damage the culet with your tool.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

If you have the stone, take it to a jeweler with a sarin. It only takes a few minutes to run one. Keep in mind that external measurements don't tell you how nice the diamond looks to the eye. If you have the stone in front of you , you should be able to tell if it is a real sparkler or not.

Ben, thank you so much for your link.

And thank you all for responding.

The problem I had was that I took up a lot of this jewelers time to pick the right stone. I am very picky when it comes to the brilliance of a stone... and finally, when I (visually) picked the one i liked, the guy was so tired and so near the edge, and the fact that it was nearly closing time for them, when I asked him about the specs, he wrote it on his card... But when I got outside, all I saw was that he had written .70c, G, SI1, 5.83x5.68.

I wanted to see if I can find the percentages based on the 5.83x5.68 measurements. I didn't have the stone, so I couldn't do anything else with it.

Feel free to continue to comment please. Every thought on this purchase is appreciated.

ps. I've been quoted $2,550 but I know it should be more like $1900-$2200. What do you think?

That's not enough information to learn anything at all about the cut, nor is the jeweler likely to be able to provide you more or they would have already done so. Find an independent appraiser with the appropriate equipment and ask them your questions. Most jewelers are reasonably happy to cooperate with this process. Where are you?

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

the guy was so tired and so near the edge, and the fact that it was nearly closing time for them

In such a situation, the thing to do is politely request another appointment to continue your examination / assessment.