loumark

please help

could anyone give me a value or guide to this ring

3.30ct black solitaire diamond ring

diamond weight 3.3ct

cut ; round brilliant cut

colour : black african

clarity: black diamond crystal opaque

band : 14 k solid yellow gold with yellow gold 6 prong setting not bonded or plated

brand new

weight 2.7 grams

list price $5499 would this be the correct value

please help

• 3 weeks later...

list price $5499  would this be the correct value

please help

Correct only for the person selling it and laughing all the way to the bank about selling a 3.3 ct. drill bit for $5500.00

These diamonds wholesale for around $100-$200 per carat.

They have little or no value or beauty, Don't buy it.

'List Price' is a term that means nothing. I presume they aren't offering it for that price nor is anyone else. I see these being sold for about $200/ct. I can't say I agree with Brian's advice of flatly not buying them because some people enjoy them but they are a very different product from most diamonds.

Make sure that it's what you want.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

Lou,

If you believe in the premise that ' A happy wife (fiance) is a happy life'

and who doesn't ?

Repeat after me...

I will not buy her a black diamond

I will not buy her a black diamond

I will not buy her a black diamond...

:)

Of course I have no idea of your intentions, or her tastes.

If she is expecting a black diamond, thats one thing.

In any other case, it is most likely a major mistake.

Ps; Did you know that many extremely low grade or even industrial grade diamonds are artificially treated to obtain this black color ? hence my comments about little or no value.

Jeez Brian. He didn't say this was for a wedding ring and usually this is not why people buy them. I'm guessing that list price is off of some kind of 'appraisal' that the seller is showing with the piece and that the asking price is way less than that. This ring may be the perfect thing to accompany her goth-vampire wardrobe. :)

I'm with you that there is no significant resale value with these stones and that they are virtually all treated to generate the color but neither of these makes them flatly a mistake any more than pink ice or blue topaz is flatly a mistake. If the plan is an engagement ring, I agree, this is probably a bad idea unless she is in on it and she's been very clear that this is what she wants.

Neil

Jeez Brian...

I'm with you that there is no significant resale value with these stones and that they are virtually all treated to generate the color but neither of these makes them flatly a mistake any more than pink ice ...

Neil

Oh man, Neil thats too funny!

Pink ice ! LOL

How long did it take you to come up with something maybe even cheesier than a black diamond solitaire? :)

Brian

I don't think a black diamond solitaire is "cheesy". To each his/her way, and there may be perfectly legitimate reasons why she might want this stone.

Having said that, I couldn't agree more that a $5499 price tag on a "black diamond" seems just a teensy bit :) off!!!