whole sale jewelers

mbfreely

I am meeting with a whole sale jeweler and I was wondering how much of a discount do they generally offer compared to a normal jeweler or online jeweler. I have been looking at prices of diamonds online but I don't know what to expect when dealing with a wholesaler. I am thinking about a pricess cut Vs1, color F that is about 1.2 carats. Any Ideas. Also I have used the pricing research function on the website and I wanted to know if I can expect to find a stone somewhere around the price shown for dealing with a wholsaler. Any feedback would be apreciated.

Many jewelers choose to describe themselves as wholesalers, both online and in the stores. This is especially common for jewelers that don't have a street level showroom. It's not very clear what they mean by this or who they are describing as a 'normal' jeweler but it's not really a very important distinction since it doesn't seem to affect the pricing other than to observe that the jewelers that use it tend to count their pricing to be their best and sometimes only feature. This may or may not be accurate but it does tend to distract buyers from looking at the merits of the diamond itself. A good price on a bad stone is probably not what you are looking for. Make sure you are comparing genuinly similar stones and don't put much emphasis on the choice of words the dealers use to describe themselves. Pay attention to the diamond and to the deal at hand. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

Don't get too excited about the word wholesale.

Focus more on the diamond information that you are getting.

Look first of all for a GIA lab report. Learn about cut grades and how that effects the price. Then compare similar diamonds and be sure to actually *look* at some diamonds in person before making a decision.

I am meeting with a whole sale jeweler

As I recall, using the word "wholesale" and selling to the public is not permitted by the FTC or at least it is frowned upon.

Frankly, I would steer away from any jeweler that does business with the public and describes themselves as a "wholesaler". The term is somewhat deceptive and therefore an indicator of the way they may do business.

A retailer "offering wholesale prices" is a little better.

A retailer "offering near-wholesale prices" is accurate for many of the discount jewelers out there, including the internet jewelers, and I'd be ok with that. It's all how they phrase it.

If they sell at wholesale prices, then what is the description of the price that the supplier bought at that is selling you? Just some food for thought. There are a lot of facades on the web. My favorite one, is when they call themselves a cutter. Most of the ones I've seen on the web, were not cutters even though they describe themselves in this way.

There are some cutters, but most are not piddling around selling one stone at a time to consumers. :)

Another casual observation:

The jewelers who feature aggressive pricing but who don't describe their business this way tend to do this because they are more careful about their choice of words and the way they describe things. They don't want to be caught in a trap of being accused of lying to you, even if it's just about a tiny and irrelevant detail. Personally, I count this as a good sign.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA