help with entire process of purchase

soulpatch

OK so label me as you wish but I prefer to call myself an idiot when it comes to jewelery. Well after dating my girlfriend for about 3.5 years I have decided to take the plunge. The problem is that to do so it means buying a ring.

I know she wants white gold and her ring size is 7. I am pretty sure she wants a princess cut. Being that she has small hands a large rock would seem odd. I was thinking about 1 carat but again I am clueless about these things.

We are going shopping this weekend to look around but what types of questions should I be asking? What types of prices should I expect for a rock around 1 carat? Please help guys. I have the perfect proposal idea already lined up and now I just need the ring.

Oh an in case your wondering. I am flying down to meet with her in Disney World when she goes down with her parents for a long weekend to suprise her. She thinks I am going to Vegas.

Wow you will be pretty close to us when you go visit her. :blink: In a poll recently most girls wanted to be a part of picking out the ring but surprised by when they will get it. Make sure to look for a diamond with a GIA lab report. In princess cut, to get an eye clean and white diamond you will probably be in about the $4000 range and up.

She is involved in the process Princess. We are going out shopping together this weekend. I had mentioned to her that I wanted to get engaged sometime in the future and I thought it would e wise to start shopping. She has no idea when it will be or how I am going to do it which will be the suprise factor.

Also I gues I should ask what type of ring+setting I should expect to be able to get for around $4-5000. She has mentioned that she wants at least a carat but like I have been reading size is different from shape to shape and between each stone.

She has just said that she has always wanted a carat.

Tell her what your budget is. Maybe she will be kind to you while shopping. :blink: Also if you look for a store with an upgrade policy in the future, she might go a little smaller knowing that she can upgrade in the future without putting you into debt.

Oh an in case your wondering. I am flying down to meet with her in Disney World when she goes down with her parents for a long weekend to suprise her. She thinks I am going to Vegas.

That is a very clever plan!

I should expect to be able to get for around $4-5000. She has mentioned that she wants at least a carat

It is possible to get a 1ct diamond in that price range, but you will take a hit in quality and not be able to go much beyond a very simple setting. If you can stretch your budget to the $5K-$6K range you will be able to do much better and still get "at least a carat".