5 carat tennis bracelet carbon flaws

pjcatere

I bought a 5 carat tennis bracelet in 14k white gold. When I got home I noticed some carbon on the surface of about 10 of the 41 stones. They are only noticeable when you look carefully at the bracelet(with the naked eye). I paid about $2,100.00 for it. The salesperson said that it was a certified bracelet but that it didn't have papers because it was marked down 50%. She also said it appraised for $8,000.00. Did I get a good deal or should I return it?

It's hard to say whether you got a good deal.

However, I have a hard time with some of the claims that the salesperson made. First of all, what exactly does she mean by "certified"? Certified by whom? Note that the more reputable labs do not "certify" anything, they merely "grade" diamonds (there is a legal difference).

Second, I always have a hard time believing in "50% off" sales. Why was it on "sale"?

Third, if it is appraised to be worth $8,000, did they provide you documentation to detail the basis for such a valuation? And even if they did, note that many jewelry stores are in the having of overestimating the appraisal so you can feel better about your purchase.

I thought what certified meant was having a certificate of the grading of the diamonds and what it appraised for. The salesperson said that it didn't come with the certificate because it was 50% off; that she might be able to get me an appraisial certificate but might have to send the bracelet out to get the apprasial.

Who would perform the appraisal? And on what -- the entire piece? It is difficult if not impossible to complete a full grading analysis on a mounted diamond.

If the salesperson is willing to get the piece of appraised (again, ask by whom) it might be a worthwhile effort. Will you be able to return the piece if the appraisal does not come back to your satisfaction?

An appraisal consists of a description of the value characteristics of an item and an estimation of how it would behave in a particular marketplace. Many documents presented as appraisals do neither of these things. For an statement of an items worth to be useful, it must also contain an explanation of its value to whom and under what circumstances. Appraisals are not all answering the same questions. The price you would expect to pay at a particular jewelry store (apparently $2,100) could reasonably be described as it’s value, as could the price you could reasonably expect a pawn shop to give you for it (probably far less). There are quite a few other choices as well. The appraisal report should contain an explanation of what market they are describing with that $8,000 number. It’s very likely that this is a pricing suggestion for a theoretical store that doesn’t make any actual sales and may not even exist on this planet. If you don’t understand it, call up the appraiser and ask them. Listen carefully. If you still don’t understand it, ignore their results as inapplicable to your situation.

If you want a real appraisal, get a real appraiser and make sure that the question they are answering is the same as the one you are asking.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) NAJA

Also, make sure you understand that a "cert" and an "appraisal" are not the same thing. And a "cert" can have a few meanings depending on how ethical the jeweler is.

An "appraisal" is as described above, an actual valuation, based on someone's ( the appraiser's) criteria. You'll get a monetary amount associated with it.

A "cert" refers to the lab report (usually) that accompanies some stones and this report does NOT give you a price, only actual specifications about the stone. Different lab reports (certs) give you different info depending on the lab. Some jewelers will tell you a stone has a "cert" and make you think they mean lab report, but in fact they mean some made up piece of paper they call a cert that you're suppose to be impressed with. These are the jewelers to avoid.

And honestly, (I know some people will disagree here) but for my money the only "cert" I'm ever interested in seeing is the lab report from GIA. And if a stone has a lab report from GIA it doesn't matter HOW much the stone is marked down, the report goes with the stone when the stone is sold.

It all sounds too fishy to me..... :blink:

Princess Tess

It does sound fishy. Also it seems that you already don't like the stone quality. At $400/ct.to the consumer, the stones won't be in an eye clean grade, more like I2-I3 which is kind of a waste of your dollars. You should look at the stones under magnification to see what you are really getting.

As far as 50% off sales..... they get exactly what they intended to get all along.

I dislike fake sales strategies.

If you are really looking for a quality piece that is worth having, you might want to get it custom made. Be prepared to spend more if you want diamonds that are really eye clean and white and well cut, or a smaller carat weight.

Don't let them use cliche's like quality doesn't matter because the stones are small or that you would never get your money back out of it, if you had to sell it. Look at the auctions of fine pieces from Sotheby's etc. Quality does matter. It's better to have a quality piece that is smaller in carat weight than a larger piece of junk.