Hi all - need help picking between 2 diamonds

Diamond frenzy

Hi all, I've been checking out this forum for awhile trying to learn a little about diamonds while in purchasing mode. Here's the dilemma, I've found 2 stones $10 difference in price, identical to my untrained eye:

.51 G VS1, Table 60%, Depth 61.5%, Polish good, Symettry very good, $1990

.50 H VS2, Table 56%, Depth 60.7%, Polish Excellent, Symmetry very good, $2000

These are the stats I can remember, Oh and both are GIA cert. laser engraved.

Any help is much appreciated.

thanks in advance,

Dan

Hi all, I've been checking out this forum for awhile trying to learn a little about diamonds while in purchasing mode. Here's the dilemma, I've found 2 stones $10 difference in price, identical to my untrained eye:

.51 G VS1, Table 60%, Depth 61.5%, Polish good, Symettry very good, $1990

.50 H VS2, Table 56%, Depth 60.7%, Polish Excellent, Symmetry very good, $2000

These are the stats I can remember, Oh and both are GIA cert. laser engraved.

Any help is much appreciated.

thanks in advance,

Dan

To precisely determine which is better you still need more info such as pavilion angles (most important), and crown angles (important). Knowing the girdle size would also be of benefit.

Based on the info provided the better one will be the 0.50 stone but that's because it only scores GD polish which can affect brilliance. To be more exact one would need to look at the extra info as mentioned above.

Some prefer large tables, some smaller. It's a question whether you more prefer brilliance (white light) or fire (colored light).

The spread of both diamonds is VG/EX so nothing to worry about here.

On the VS2 though I would rather check it visually as it might have the odd visible inclusion seen by the naked eye. A VS1 is a much safer bet.

At the end of the day seeing is believing, if you could get some Gemex light performance reports for these or other results then this would confirm if your diamond is indeed "special".

Gforce100,

Thanks for the quick reply. I've put myself in a time crunch due to a scheduled trip and need to make this decision by COB Mon. Should have posted sooner and not tried to do this on my own. A little more info:

.50 HVS2 - 5.15-5.19 - 3.14, Girdle-THN, faceted, Fluor-FBTB, culet-none, Gemex report- White very high(nearly maxed out), color very high(off the chart), scintill high(close to very high). This jeweler has full cert. but I only have copy of dossier.

.51 GVS1 - 5.08-5.13 - 3.14, Girdle-THN-STHK, faceted, Fluor-none, no Gemex report, but this one is what the jeweler called a "triple cert" - GIA, cutter, trade-up. I've never heard of this so just considered as good as a normal GIA cert. This full cert will have to be faxed to my local guy, he ordered this one and only had dossier.

I only have copies of dossier certs, so this is all of the info I can get today. I was going to make my determination on appearance to the eye, but they are so close I can't tell them apart (neither could the other 2 people in the room, both employees of the jeweler). Now I'm back to numbers trying to get the most for the money. If I can get the full certs or info on pavilion angle/crown angle early Mon. what am I looking for?

Thanks again,

Dan

You might have already thought of this, but make sure you look at them both under various lighting conditions (natural, flourescent etc). This might bring out differences in the two stones you hadnt noticed before and then pick the one you like the most. It sounds like you've done a good job on your own...go with your gut.

Good luck!

Thanks CHOPK,

I've looked at them both in every light available, from every angle, under the loop, everything I could think of and they look the same. Each time i think one is more brilliant/has more fire/looks clearer or more white, etc. all I have to do is change the angle and the other looks better. I guess there are worse troubles to have - they are both beautiful and she will love either one. I just want the stone to be as perfect as the girl ( at least as much as I can afford on a student budget).

Thanks,

Dan

This ones a no brainer. Get the stone with the Gemex Results. I work with the technology on a daily basis and with those results you are guaranteed one of the finer rocks. No info on the 2nd leaves too many question marks.

Thanks for the help Rhino. BTW nice sight, very informative. The jeweler I went with is a "hearts on fire" dealer and had the H&A viewer. I wish I had seen your site before going in - would have made the viewer even more informative. I compared the stone in question to one of the HOF diamonds and could see only a very slight difference on one of the "hearts" so I guess I did pretty well.

For those interested, I did go with the stone with gemex study and am sure my girlfriend will be thrilled when she sees it. Thank you all again and wish me luck on the proposal.

Dan