URGENT!!! Help with diamond color

jjohnson33

I am supposed to pay for the rest of the engagement ring I picked out tomorrow, my girlfriend knows about it, but not what it looks like. I was clueless when I went in to pick it out and never asked the color because it looked normal to me. She asked the color today and I had to call the store to find out and they said it is L-M VS1 she is worried that it is going to appear too yellow, I looked at it today and didn't think it looked yellow, but I wasn't comparing it to any other diamonds. The setting is an antique Georgian setting with pave set diamonds on the band and the carat size of the diamond is 1.5. Can you give me any advice on how yellow this will appear and what factors will affect the way it looks. Thanks so much!

Did you bother to ask the exact carat weight?

What about the cut quality?

I ask these questions with great concern. My concern is that if you neglected to ask about the color, you likely missed a whole host of additional issues and factors you really should have considered while making your purchase. Frankly, the color is the least of your concerns now...

My recommendation: Stop what you're doing. Read the tutorials on this website right away. Then start asking questions.

It depends on how color sensitive her eyes are. You looked at it and didn't think it looked to be a yellow color. I've seen people that didn't know how to color grade call an L-M color an H before.

I would tell the store your delimma and concern about the color and ask for a return policy in case it is too yellow for her. Maybe they could exchange the stone for a better color that meets with her approval. That is after you show her the first one you picked.

Don't let a letter on a piece of paper, make up your mind for you. Look at the stone objectively.

I am supposed to pay for the rest of the engagement ring I picked out tomorrow, my girlfriend knows about it, but not what it looks like. I was clueless when I went in to pick it out and never asked the color because it looked normal to me. She asked the color today and I had to call the store to find out and they said it is L-M VS1 she is worried that it is going to appear too yellow, I looked at it today and didn't think it looked yellow, but I wasn't comparing it to any other diamonds. The setting is an antique Georgian setting with pave set diamonds on the band and the carat size of the diamond is 1.5. Can you give me any advice on how yellow this will appear and what factors will affect the way it looks. Thanks so much!

Is it just my eyes or have you not stated the color of the setting?

If it's yellow gold there's no reason to worry at all.

If it's white gold or platinium then you are far more bound to see the yellow tint of the diamond.

But that's just theory and while true to a high degree all diamonds are different and most certainly people's eyes vary accordingly.

Also remember, she may even like a slight yellow tint? Women vary more than men do (no joke intended) and who knows, you may be just getting exactly what she wants.

Let us know how she reacted, :blink: