Setting: Side stones or better quality solitaire

aps5612

I am thinking about a emerald shape diamond, and was wondering about settings. Is it best to get a nice setting, with baguettes or smaller emerald/trillion cut side stones, or just a simple setting and purchase a better quality stone? I have seen some really nice settings, btw my budget is about 7000 for the ring. Some of the settings range close to 2k, should I save the money and get a better quality solitare, and a simple $500 setting? Any suggestions. Thanks.

Rings will vary in price a great deal depending on the materials used, the manufacturer chosen and similar variables. The bottom is about $100 and the top is in the 6 digits. It will depend on your style. For the most part, if you are looking for lots of flash for your budget, you will do well to get a slightly smaller center stone and a more elaborate ring. If you are looking for something that is ‘classic’ and that highlights the merits of the center diamond, get a simpler (and usually less expensive) ring.

Designers work will also tend to cost more and some are quite a bit more than others. The various designers have differing approaches and there is a certain value to being able to describe a piece as a genuine design rather than a similar competitor that may be less expensive. This decision will depend on you and your bride to be. I should mention that some of the best craftsmen and some of the best designers are associated with standalone stores that are owned or operated by that craftsman. This gives them the ability to control the whole process from the alloy of the metal to the giftwrapping at the end. Not surprisingly, this kind of dealer doesn’t have the advertising clout of the big manufacturers so you may not have heard of their brand name and it can sometimes be difficult to recognize the difference between a master jeweler and an amateur who THINKS they are a master. Pay attention to the details and this can be a wonderful route to getting you own special ring.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

I am thinking about a emerald shape diamond, and was wondering about settings. Is it best to get a nice setting, with baguettes or smaller emerald/trillion cut side stones, or just a simple setting and purchase a better quality stone? I have seen some really nice settings, btw my budget is about 7000 for the ring. Some of the settings range close to 2k, should I save the money and get a better quality solitare, and a simple $500 setting? Any suggestions. Thanks.

Well since you're wanting an emerald diamond then do not compromise on its quality either way. Inclusions are easier to see in emerald's than in rounds and so keep this in mind. All in all you should strive for the best cut, clarity, color, and carat for your center stone (in that order might be a good idea too).

As for sidestones, well it's down to taste, some will say it adds to elegance and some will say it distracts people from the main stone. Which to choose and believe? I don't think it's right to force any such decision down your throat, make up your own mind. Take a look at various settings (made very easy via the Internet) and get your ideas from there.

As for the setting, I would go for a 6 prong platinum with or without sidestones. Some people say 4 prongs is enough as more mask the diamond but this is again down to personal preference. Again compare various settings and see how your mind reacts.