The diamond I may buy

Bling Marty

I started shopping for a ring and this is what I was offered, seems to be very very fair.

D color Si1 clarity 1.50 carat and ideal cut

8100 dolllars and has GIA cert

This was one of the first diamonds I saw but when I look it up on blue nile it seems like a very very fair price. Any opinions??

What is the other info on it like the depth, table, dimensions, polish, symmetry, girdle and fluorescence.

Diamond are graded by the 4 c's and you have the color, clarity, and weight but the *cut* grade is the most important part and whether or not the stone will sparkle or just look dead. That is the part that you left out.

Also what shape is it? Their rounds are running much higher for that color and clarity.

It is a round shape. My GF is not completely ignorant to diamonds but when u learn about them as a normal person I don't think she would have a clue but she did sit in aww looking at it.......It is ideal cut, I am not sure about the other specs. I wil get them on this thread soon, hope this afternoon. It is GIA certified too

Question: How do you know its an ideal cut... really? There is not enough information on a GIA report to determine this, nor does GIA give an "ideal" classification for diamonds. Not to throw a monkey wrench into your research but current standards for "ideal cut" are being tossed out the window with the new grading systems which are changing from proportion based cut grading to performance based. If I'm not mistaken AGS is beginning to implement this as of tomorrow and GIA shortly thereafter. If you'd like further info on the differences you can click on our link and go to the "4C's and beyond" button, go to the chapteres on cut and you'll get an idea.

Peace,

Rhino

That is very weird, something seems off because if you do a search on Blue Nile the least expensive one in that grade and size that you said is $9952 which isn't ideal cut or well cut but only a fair cut. Can you post a link to the stone you are looking at? I simply don't see anything like you stated in your post.

Well that is exactly why I am posting on this site. Ideal came from the horses mouth, I will not be able to verify this until I go to a gemoligist I suppose but as of now the seller is saying this not the report. Even still with everything else I have posted it still seems to be a fair price, I got a quote on blue nile for over 12k on this one. I am just a little confused weather I should downgrade color and up clarity or vice versa. But I keep saying to myslef tha a 1.5 carat diamond with these specs is somethig special, its early in the game and I would hate to jump into something I may regret but also I would hate to miss out. thanks rhino for post

That is very weird, something seems off because if you do a search on Blue Nile the least expensive one in that grade and size that you said is $9952 which isn't ideal cut or well cut on a fair cut. Can you post a link to the stone you are looking at? I simply don't see anything like you stated in your post.

I know, I agree totally. I was in the place yesterday and the guy starts saying this and that about how its my special day and that no matter where I went I was not going to be this price. Everything he said is right except the fact that I am not a pro and I would need a pro to look at diamond. It does seem like a to good to be true deal. no? Keep in mind I would bet the cut is good even though he said ideal but I cann't confirm this, the only thing I can confirm is that it is a d (it shined much more then any other i liked at) it is 1.5 (it was bigger thenothers I looked at) and I did use the eye thingy to look (and it have less flaws then lower grades)..

I have done that since your post, he is out of his office but his son is there, I asked him he said he father has to ok it but said it should be problem. I hope to have it soon

hey Jan pt blank if you had this deal that I am telling you and all the info was 100% accurate would u settle for a si1 clarity? That reall is my main concern, I don't want a ring with bad clarity.

Well being interested in mostly well cut diamonds, I would have to see the other info before I said yes. Something really just doesn't sound right with this particular stone etc. That is why I'm trying to tell you in a nice way to get the info.

I don't like seeing consumers being lied to. If everything is as you say, and it is a well cut diamond then I would say it sounds good as long as the diamond actually matches the lab report. I wasn't aware that Blue Nile even see's people in the office.

Everything he said is right except the fact that I am not a pro and I would need a pro to look at diamond...

Good plan. Hire a pro.

You should be able to find someone in your neighborhood that can help you out for a reasonable fee. Try to find someone who doesn't buy or sell diamonds and get an agreement from the seller that you have a certain amount of time to show it the the appraiser and make a decision. Pick an appraser that is chosen by, and working for you, not the seller. You should have the right to return for ANY reason within a reasonable time frame. If the time is short, less than say 10 days, make sure you can schedule an appointment and get your report with time to spare. If your appraiser is in another town, this can be important because of shipping delays.

Don't agree to a deal with restocking fees if you decide to return or ones that have restrictions on what the appraiser agrees or disagrees with. The appraisers job is to report the facts. It's up to you to decide if those facts are important or not.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

Independent Appraisals in Denver

Just got more info on it..GIA STAMPED!!

shape and cutting style....round brilliant

measurements 7.09-7.12 x 4.67mm

weight 1.50 carat

Proportions depth 65.7

table 58%

girdle.......thick to very thick

finish

polish........excellent

symmetry...very good

carity grade.... si1

color grade.....d

Flourescensce.strong blue

Comments are crown angles are greater then 35 degrees

Hi Marty,

The report tells pretty much what I thought. This stone is extremely deep and will probably look very dark because it is what we refer to in the trade as a nail head diamond. It also will look much smaller than most 1.50 ct. diamonds because it has the dimensions of a well cut stone that weighs 1.25 ct. Also a D color coupled with strong blue fluorescence will bring down the price although the stone may look greasy or milky it might not as well. The main problem is that it won't sparkle like a well cut stone either.

It is likened to buying a steak with an extra 25% fat on it. The price per pound may be less but you will get alot less of edible product.

Also just in case you are unsure, this is not an ideal cut diamond.

Marty,

You're paying a pretty good premium to get that D color and then are getting some of it back by compromising on the cut. This is not usually the best strategy. Stick to your guns about getting a killert cut and drop the color a few grades if you need to in order to get within your budget. Alternatively, drop the size or increase the budget. Jan's advice on this one is dead on.

She's pretty smart for a flatlander.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

Jan thank you very much you been extremely helpful and say goes for you denver.

Anyway do you guys think it is impossible to get a d color 1.25 ideal cut si1 for under 10k? I do have some nice connections in jersey that I am looking into. The diamond that I have been speaking about was from someone in NY that I did not know. I just love the way the D sparkles!!!! I have to get it for my girlfriend

Stamped=top right corner logo, stamp of approval if you will

Anyway do you guys think it is impossible to get a d color 1.25 ideal cut si1 for under 10k?

Not in an Ideal-Cut. Low teens.

For 8 thousand tell me something I could expect.....And even if I know someone in the biz?

For ~$8000 something like:

1.50-1.70 carat

color H/I

SI1-SI2

VG/GD symmetry

VG/GD polish

No Fluorescence

That's unless you're happy with a non GIA/AGS diamond but personally I would try and avoid EGL.