Choosing a Diamond

rrabie

1- I would like to know if i want to buy a Diamond what should i take into consideration the purity or the color , if i have the following dimensions which should i choose (same weight)

Clarity VVS1 , Color G

Clarity VS1 , Color F

2- What is the difference between a sealed diamond & a laser diamond & which is better

1. I doubt you would *see* a difference with the eye in those colors and clarities, however the cut grade can make a difference on which one sparkles nicer than the other. Have you *seen* the stones in person?

2. a sealed diamond, I think you are talking about a filled diamond and a laser drilled diamond. I would say neither if this is what you are talking about. Get a diamond with a GIA or AGS lab report as well. GIA won't grade filled diamonds and if it were to be laser drilled it would be notated on the lab report.

But generally I don't see a need to buy either drilled or filled when you can get a really nice diamond nowadays for a reasonable price with all the documentation.

1- I would like to know if i want to buy a Diamond what should i take into consideration the purity or the color , if i have the following dimensions which should i choose (same weight)

Clarity VVS1 , Color G

Clarity VS1 , Color F

2- What is the difference between a sealed diamond & a laser diamond & which is better

I'm not sure what kind of person you are so what drives you etc. but if it's true what I believe you're scratching your head over (you want to pick the best quality) then I would settle on a VVS2 and F color.

VVS2 is like VVS1 but you may have another pinpoint somewhere, or perhaps the pinpoint will be under the table instead of the crown facets. VVS is so minute that the inclusions are very very small, something like 25-40 microns at most. To put this into perspective you would need to look at the diamond at 30x zoom before you can actually start seeing things.

Since this is VVS2 and not VS2 or SI1-2 even if the inclusion is under the table it will be too small to a) see and :P give you any reason for concern. A VVS2 in fact may just be say 2 pinpoints instead of 1 outside of the table area and only perhaps visible with the pavilion facing up under a certain angle.

As for the F color, it belongs to the elite color range and makes a good match to VVS2 and allows for a high quality diamond. Try finding such a diamond within a ring at most chain jewllers and you'll be very often disappointed - they tend to sell SI1/VS2 in most cases to keep their profit margins healthy.

However even with all the above said the clarity and color only make up about 2% of the diamonds beauty, or in other words brilliance and fire. The other 98% is the cut. Concentrate on getting an Ideal cut. This is the C out of the 4C's that makes your diamond either dull or brilliant. Most people won't know the difference between SI, VS, VVS etc. but will go wow (and perhaps feel somewhat jealous sometimes) if your diamond sparkles.

I think you're asking about Clarity Enhanced diamonds? As Jan said why bother? Get a GIA or AGS certified diamond. Sure you can get a CE diamond but at the end of the day remember that this is a I1 (most likely) clarity diamond that's just been drilled and it's inclusion(s) remedied. You pay a substantially lower price but your mind will always know it's been modified in an attempt to improve something that's bad to making it saleable. If you do get a for CE diamond you won't notice it's been repaired unless examining it professionally using a high zoom. Only then might you see a slight surface blemish from where it was drilled and some different colored lines that are just reflections of the substance injected in to fill the drilled hole (where the inclusion was). To the naked eye it looks like a SI1/VS2 and can have a very good brilliance. EC is something that came about in the 1980's in Israel. Some people go for it because of the price, but I side with Jan in that a GIA/AGS diamond is still the best way to go (there is a diamond priced for everyone if you search properly).

The cut will either make or break a diamond, everything else is a "bonus".

Some clarity on this question would be helpful. I'm guessing you are asking about the habit of some labs, in particular HRD, to 'seal' each diamond into a bubble wrap kind of packaging after the examination to presumably guarantee that the stone you are seeing is the same stone as the one examined at the lab. This is NUTS. It prevents you from examining the stone! Actually looking at it is the most important part of the whole process. HRD is a good enough lab and I would not suggest that one of their reports is a mark against a particular stone but I would not even consider buying a stone where the dealer will not remove it from that pacakging and allow both you and whatever experts you wish to examine the actual stone.

Lasers etched girdles are handy for the same purpose although the plotting diagram serves the same function. If you want something etched on the girdle of your stone, It's neither difficult or expensive to get whatever you wish written there.

Buy the diamond not the paper.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

First of all thanks a lot for your help & support , i have seen the stones mysel one of them is sealed & one of the them is laser etched girdle , here are their specificifications:

1 - The laser Etched Girdle: (HRD)

Weight: 1.01 Carate

Clarity : VS1

C0lor: F

Cut: Princess

2- The Sealed Stone (HRD):

Weight: 1.02 Carate

Clarity: WS1

Color: G

My question is from a professional point of view which stone should i choose regardless of the price , i am talking about the quality.

Thanks again.

There really isn't enough cut information to tell you which to choose. Also HRD is not quite as stringent as GIA or AGS in my experience. It could be a D IF and if it isn't well cut it won't sparkle. Many on the web will tell you to go by numbers off a chart etc, but we know that external measurements dont' tell us how beautiful a diamond is. It's important to *see* the diamonds in person and compare different qualities. Otherwise you might get stuck with a high color clarity dud.

First of all thanks a lot for your help & support , i have seen the stones mysel one of them is sealed & one of the them is laser etched girdle , here are their specificifications:

1 - The laser Etched Girdle: (HRD)

Weight: 1.01 Carate

Clarity : VS1

C0lor: F

2- The Sealed Stone (HRD):

Weight: 1.02 Carate

Clarity: WS1

Color: G

My question is from a professional point of view which stone should i choose regardless of the price , i am talking about the quality.

Thanks again.

This depends on whether you:

- Prefer the best clarity

- Prefer the best color

- Prefer the best brilliance

The first two, well it's pretty obvious which is better but as to the briliance. To know this you would really need to know all the crown/pavilion depths or angles.

From what seems to be the general opinion HRD is somewhat respected in Europe but it's not going to be as good as GIA/AGS.

With that said I would feel happier having bought a HRD diamond than one graded by IGI or EGL.

All good info.

To answer your question a little more directly rabie...

Within the princess cut shapes a G VVS1 is listing more than an F VS1 by either 200 or 300 per carat MORE depending on what list a supplier is looking at. If going off the pear list (which most suppliers consult for fancies) then its a difference of $200 per carat, if using the princess list then $300 per carat.

Having said that I would further qualify this statement by saying that it is also quite possible that the F VS1 will be more beautiful than the G VVS1 due to its cutting (or vice/versa). Since we have virtually no data telling us anything about these diamonds proportions it is impossible to assess based on the limited data provided.

Hope that helps.