Diamond Certificates

GFORCE100

Hello all,

We have GIA, AGS, IGI, HRD, EGL from what I can remember as the most well known gem labs that issue diamond certificates.

My question is how small can a diamond be for it to have a certificate?

I don't think GIA does anything below 0.25ct? On the other hand I've seen IGI do a 0.21ct diamond.

Is there any list somewhere, or is this general knowledge except I've not yet came across it?

Many thanks all

I think it's a question of economics more than anything else.

A diamond certification costs in the neighborhood of $150, plus the shipping and insurance both ways, plus the inventory carrying cost of not being able to sell the stone for a few days/weeks and still "carrying" it, bringing the total cost to roughly $200. So, for a 0.5ct stone worth $2,000, the cost of certification is 10% of the value... clearly not justified.

The fact that IGI will do a 0.21ct is somewhat of a statement against them, because as we all know, performing a thorough inspection and assessment takes time and therefore costs money. I have to assume that the only way to justify the economics on an IGI assessment is to make it a very low cost assessment (and therefore not a very reliable one!)

I think it's a question of economics more than anything else.

A diamond certification costs in the neighborhood of $150, plus the shipping and insurance both ways, plus the inventory carrying cost of not being able to sell the stone for a few days/weeks and still "carrying" it, bringing the total cost to roughly $200. So, for a 0.5ct stone worth $2,000, the cost of certification is 10% of the value... clearly not justified.

The fact that IGI will do a 0.21ct is somewhat of a statement against them, because as we all know, performing a thorough inspection and assessment takes time and therefore costs money. I have to assume that the only way to justify the economics on an IGI assessment is to make it a very low cost assessment (and therefore not a very reliable one!)

I'm getting somewhat misleading information depending on where I visit.

On one hand I personally have not seen nor heard others say very small diamonds can have a certificate, but on the other when looking through these various online price check engines it states they DO have a certificate.

OK so 0.05ct Brilliant/Princess are quite cheap due to their small size (width ~2.40mm??). Why in such case do some say they can have certificates but others state the opposite?

I've been looking on the websites of GIA, AGS, IGI, HRD etc. but cannot seem to find any indication of the minimum carat they'll accept for certification.

They can.

They rarely do, for reasons that Ben has outlined.

Anyone who want's to can call themselves a lab, print up a report and call it a certifcate. It's not even necessary to examine the stone. This kind of report can be produced very inexpensively and there is no shortage of potential publishers. I would not recommend that you rely on such an opinion. This is a waste of good paper. With the exception of origin of color style reports, I have never seen a report issued by any of the labs you mentioned for stones below about 0.20cts. although I'm sure they will all be happy to examine whatever they get paid to examine.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

OK so 0.05ct Brilliant/Princess are quite cheap due to their small size (width ~2.40mm??). Why in such case do some say they can have certificates but others state the opposite

But what kind of lab report is it? I've seen some online companies claim they have certificates as well but what kind? It is probably not a stringent lab such as GIA or AGS. It's one of those feel good certificates.

Paper is just that, paper. You have to buy the diamond, not the paper. What if the paper is wrong? Then it is just a waste of time.