Overpriced?

jacob_felger

I would like to know if a Leo Diamond I'm looking at is worth $2100. If anyone could help that would be GREAT.

Here are the specs: Round Mod. Brill. Cut, 5.17 - 5.19 x 3.24 mm.

0.54cts.

Colorless(F)

SI(2) (You can see a speck of carbon through the side with your naked eye.)

Good Polish / Good Symmetry

It's a Leo, so it has 8 extra facets which are supposed to make it reflect more light. I can kind of see a difference when compared side-by-side with another rock with similar specs. Anyway, the diamond price grader seems to indicate it's overpriced - they are selling it on a 14kt gold ring for $2100. Please tell me if this is a good deal! Thanks!

Some Leo’s do have GIA reports, but not all of them. They also use EGL-USA and AGS for their grading.

The extra facets give the stone a different look that can be attractive but changing the facet pattern doesn’t enhance the light return of the stone. The same sorts of rules apply to these as to the regular 58 facet cuts. Ie. Some are better than others and often the dealers don’t give enough information. Ask questions. Get the information and consider using an independent appraiser if you need assistance in analyzing the results. Leo's are different from Round Brilliant's but 'different' is not the same as 'better'. If you like the look then they're better, if you don't, then they aren't.

Branded cuts, like the Leo, tend to sell for a premium over non-branded competitors and it’s a personal issue to decide if this is worth the extra money. There are quite a few dealers that sell specialty cuts that you can compare with the Leo. There are even a fair number of competing dealers who sell the Leo brand.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

I'm in Marion, Indiana, near Indy.  Thanks for the info.  GIA is the best, then?  Leo diamonds use IGI, according to their website.

They all come with an IGI report but they don't all use IGI grading. If you read the text on the report you will notice that some will reference the grading to a GIA report along with the GIA number. They like the IGI reports because they have a big number that they can point to as the 'value'. GIA documents do not contain a price.

If the dealer doesn't supply you with cut grading data, usually in the form of a Sarin or OGI report, try to find an appraiser who can do it for you. It's very difficult to shop these stones without this information, especially if you haven't seen very many of them.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA