Help - discrepancy in stone &authenticity cert

wired

I recently puchased diamond. Certificate of authenticity gives measurements as 6.98x6.98x3.30. Receipt from jeweler lists same measurements. Jeweler even made big deal out of how unusual it is to get perfectly round diamond. Took to two other jewelers who both gave measurements as 5.5 to 5.8. Returned to original jeweler with concern. Said it was simply a "typo" that it was not a big deal. He measured and gave THREE DIFFERENT (not perfectly round) measurements. Went back and asked for refund - really not feeling good about this purchase (bought less than 1 week ago). He refused to do so, although his receipt simply indicates that "return must be accompanied by this receipt".

Although carat weight is same, I feel very uncomfortable with this.

Please give me your opinion whether or not my concern is valid.

Thank you.

JK

Find an appraiser to help.

There can be calibration issues with the tools that can account for differences in measurements but the real way to tell is to get the stone graded by YOUR expert and have them compare their findings with the original report. This is a considerable difference. They should be able to tell you if it’s describing the same stone. They can also tell you if there are any other areas that may be of concern, like the cutting. Depending on who issued the Certificate of Authenticity, this information may not be included.

Find an appraiser who isn’t in the business of buying or selling diamonds and who isn’t working for someone who is. There are quite a few that offer this service regularly to customers who buy from unknown sellers and are concerned about this very issue.

Who issued the certificate of authenticity?

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

Also what kind of measuring tools are the *other* jewelers using. Maybe they are just trying to kill a sale. That is why it is important to go to an idependent appraiser versus someone else that sells jewelry.

What kind of lab report does the stone have?

Went back and asked for refund - really not feeling good about this purchase (bought less than 1 week ago). He refused to do so, although his receipt simply indicates that "return must be accompanied by this receipt".

Trust has been violated here. Regardless of the true measurements of the stone, I think you should return the stone. On what grounds did he refuse the refund?

Tell him that unless he honors the return policy, you'll report him to BBB and also post your bad experience on the internet on forums like this one.

Thanks for the responses. The answers will show that trust has indeed been violated.

The two jewelers I went to both used two different types of measuring tools. These two were also used by the jeweler -measured the ring last night. The original jeweler agrees that the stone in my ring does NOT correspond with the certificate of authenticity. His explanation for this is that it is "simply a typo". Of course, he also wrote the same measurements on his receipt to me. He also tried to convince me last night that those measurements are "not important at all". He went so far as to say, "I told you that you had a .70 carat ring and that is what you have. What is your complaint? Those other measurements don't mean a thing!" Even I am not so stupid that I don't know that "those other measurements" determine the appearance/size of the stone based on the depth of the cut. A .70 can appear to be the size of about 1/2 carat or a full carat.

Why won't he return my money? That's a good one. When I asked him why, he said. "I just can't....I have to figure out how much money I'm out! I have to cover my expenses."

Okay, I'll confuse this even more. I had several stones (5 stones around .30 to .40) I inherited. He took these as a trade - gave me $1542 for all of them. He then purchased the stone, put it in a setting priced at $970 and I paid him a total of approximately $2500.

Although I have no way of knowing if the stones he would return to me are actually the ones I traded in, he said he'd have to give me my stones back. Okay, so I compromise and "trust" him on that (although I feel that he has already "purchased" those and I should get all my money back, including the $1542 for the trade-in). I would be fine with getting the stones and the other $2500 and walking away. His response is "I have to pull my original paperwork and see what I can do". and "That setting is now used. I can't sell it as new." Funny, he had a CZ in it for display. When he set my stone into it the first time, I had to go back because the stone could be turned in a circle under the setting. I had to take it back a second time because he had set it crooked, slanted down and to the right. But "I" have to be responsible for a "used setting"?

I have told him I had spoken with the BBB without giving them his name and he became livid. They are more than willing to pursue this based on the info I have given them, as in this posting. I have also spoken with the president of the Jewelers Vigilance Committee. They receive all consumer complaints and are affiliated with the Federal Trade Commission. They, too, are ready to take this on whenever I say.

I would appreciate any other input. He is conveniently "off" today and is going to call me tomorrow. Would it be appropriate for me to ask for the full refund in cash, or take stones I "expect" (I use that term very loosely) to be the original ones I traded in - plus the additional $2500. Whichever way, if it is not to my approval, I will be proceeding with BBB and JVC.

Both the jeweler and I spoke with the diamond provider and he is willing to "provide a new certificate of authenticity that matches the stone I have".

Please recommend appropriate resolutions.

By the way, I'm signed in as clifford, but that is my husband's middle name.

I need to clarify. The stones I inherited were .30 to .40 each - total of five.

Also, the person with whom I spoke at JVC - not altogether certain she is president. She is in the legal counsel department.

Sorry for confusing. My fingers go a LOT faster than my brain.

clifford

WOW!

On the face of it, that is one whopping "typo"; to go from a 6.98 to a 5.5-5.8 MM measurement.

IMO, you've been taken advantage of. Your objective now is to remain calm and try to get back as much as possible.

If he continues to give you a hard time, then by all means tell him that you will report him to the BBB, JVC, and your local Chamber of Commerce as well as getting a lawyer.

Let us know how it works out.

Good Luck.

Balderdash! He’s got no case. You were told one thing and received another. You are clearly entitled to a refund along with a sincere apology for screwing up. Immediately would be a good schedule. You tried asking politely. Now insist.

The certificate of authenticity is probably useless, as will be a new one with more accurate information but a receipt that lists dimensions and other specs is a legal document. Did you charge this thing to a credit card? If so, complain immediately to the CC company. BBB is something of a toothless tiger but they can make a bit of noise and can make things uncomfortable for the jeweler. Call them back at once and give the jewelers name. If the jeweler makes it right there will be no problem and if they don’t, it will be helpful to be able to note the date of your original complaint.

Read the fine print on the refund policy. With most stores, you are entitled to a refund if you are unhappy for ANY REASON within a certain period of time. This is sometimes short so work quickly. If the policy makes restrictions, you still have a pretty good case because the stone was misrepresented but try the easy route first.

If you aren’t too annoyed at their lack of customer service, try asking for a different diamond that may meet your specs. Not all 0.70 carat stones are the same. I'm sure they know this. Is it possible that he could get a stone that would make you happy? They aren’t likely to like this solution because a better stone is going to cost them more than the stone you bought but, in the end, it will be cheaper than facing you in court. Probably a lot cheaper. This would be a good way to cut their losses.

For what it's worth, 5.5-5.8 mm is about the right size for a 0.70ct round. 6.98mm is clearly an error.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

Boy, oh boy! The jeweler called me today to tell me he would "look at his paperwork" to see how much money HE WAS OUT. He continued to rant that I had the ".70" ring - I got what I paid for, etc, etc. When I mentioned to him the discrepancy between the stone and his receipt and certificate he got even madder and eventually he hung up on me. I have no desire to do any further business with this jeweler. My husband is going to take ownership of this and speak with the jeweler tomorrow.

In the meantime, I have spoken with GIA who suggested I contact JVC. I told her I had done so. I am hoping all goes well tomorrow.

We have asked to please have the stones from the trade-in returned along with the remainder of our payment. As a gesture of goodwill, we have even offered to pay him $150.00 for his "services". He is still not sure if he can "do that". What else can he be out?

I'll keep you updated!

clifford

You're doing the right thing standing your ground. And in my opinion, you are being more than generous offering $150 back. Unfortunately, every industry has its black sheep and you unfortunately ran into one in the jewelry industry. Rest assured that the majority of jewelers are honest, hard-working individuals who go the extra mile to care about their customers and their own reputation.

Please keep us posted, so that other consumers out there might learn the lessons from your unfortunate experience.

I have to say one thing, a 3/4 ct. diamond does not measure 6.98 mm but more like the millimeter that it is measuring now, so it could have been a typo error.

A 3/4 ct. can measure in the 5.5 -5.8 mm range and most do. If he had told you that you got a 1.25 ct. diamond and gave you a 3/4 ct. diamond that could be one thing but clearly you were told it was a 3/4 ct.

Just wanted to let all of you know the issue is fully resolved. My husband went today and was given a full refund. Thanks for all of your responses, suggestions and support!

My husband and I will certainly not be doing business with this particular jeweler again.

"Clifford"