People choose size over quality, why?

GFORCE100

Hello again,

After reading through I would say 80% of this forum I have concluded people seem to be choosing size over quality when it comes to buying a diamond.

May I ask why?

For example a lot of you suggest a large diamond (i.e. around 1ct and up) with a SI1-2 clarity.

Sure many girls don't even know the 4C's to a diamond but if she just happens to take it in for a clean one day and the jewller tells her its a very high quality such and such diamond then don't you think she will be more pleased than if it's a little larger and the jewller says something like this is a good diamond?

I personally can't see how anyone would go below a VS2 (or at best VS1) for a around 1ct diamond and I tend to believe when we go buy diamonds we could take cut as the number 1 consideration but followed closely by clarity and color.

What are other's opinions on this issue?

I guess it all boils down to people's intepretation of what is quality, is it how big the diamond is (and we'll just try to forget it's above average flawed) or quality.

SI1 has the attractive quality of being the lowest clarity grade where inclusions cannot be seen without magnification... this gives you the choice of saving a few bucks, or getting a bigger stone for the same money.

Bottom line is, as you inferred, it all boils down to preference!

Depends on the Cut of the diamond. The better the Cut, the less likely your ability to see imperfections. You can therefore go to a SI-2 and even an I-1, get a larger stone with higher color, and wind up with a great looking diamond.

Depends on the Cut of the diamond. The better the Cut, the less likely your ability to see imperfections. You can therefore go to a SI-2 and even an I-1, get a larger stone with higher color, and wind up with a great looking diamond.

Well I guess some of the reasons is down to how observant we are, others tell me for instance I pick up things looking round that others don't or take long to. Kind of funny considering my Chinese sign is a rooster hence the observance is built in.

Anyway if cut is equal I somehow just feel more pride in buying say a 0.55ct, F, VVS2 diamond than a 0.75ct, H, VS2 when the size difference is not all that massive.

I've heard a color E-F can make up for some of the size difference (due to how the white shines outwards). Has anyone else heard this opinion and if so what's your thoughts/experiences?

Cut will affect three things:

1. Face-up whiteness of the diamond,

2. Ability to pick up inclusions,

3. size perception.

The better the Cut, the "whiter" the stone will face-up, will appear "cleaner" (if SI and below clarity), and will look "bigger" than it's actual carat weight in the face-up position.

Try this yourself. Look at a few diamonds of the same Cut that range in color from E-F down to I-J and SI-1 SI-2 clarities.

Can you see differences?