Good buy for around $2200

GFORCE100

Hello everyone,

Would you consider this ring and diamond a good buy?

Solitaire 6 prong setting in platinum 950 (Tiffany type setting give or take a little).

Diamond:

0.40ct (i.e. ~4.8mm)

F

VVS2

Premium cut

GIA certificate

Independant apraisal/valuation

About $2200

Jan is right, $2200 sounds a tiny bit high for what you described.

However, it also depends on the styling. If there is something particularly unique about the setting that attracts you, it is possible that it comes from a designer in which case the cost will be higher. Example: I paid almost $2000 for a platinum wedding band (no diamonds) from a designer brand. I really liked the design. I paid that amount knowing that a similar band would have cost $400-$500. Yes, I paid a premium of $1500 just for a design. Yes, I could have probably gotten a custom jewelry maker to "knock off" the design and do it for less. But, at the end of the day, Yes, I'm very happy with my choice. So there you go, it's not all about price. And for what it's worth, you are definitely "in the ballpark".

You should be able to get an ideal cut diamond in that price range. I know we just sold an ideal .41 ct. VS1 E for $1225. A 6 prong platinum solitaire around $499.

Hmmm am I correct assuming you are meaning you sold the entire ring and not just the diamond for $1225?

The diamond itself is about $1300 (rememebr this is not VS1 but VVS2) so how would you be able to do the ring for $1225? I'm not saying what you said is wrong, quite the oppositie in fact, but I am very interested in how you come up with such a big price difference of $1000.

As to premium cut it can mean Ideal, Excellent, or Very Good cut/symmetry/polish.

Thanks again,

Hi GForce,

A premium cut is a loosely used term to describe a stone that is not ideal cut or they would say it is ideal cut. It can mean many things. If you had more info like light performance that could make all the difference. It is possible to get a diamond that performs like or better than an ideal cut without having to pay a premium, but you would have to have that info.

Do you have any other cut info other than a generic term of premium???

As far as being a VVS2 F or VS1 E, they run about the same per carat because you are just trading a E for F and a VVS2 for a VS1.

My comparison above is that the loose stone was $1225 and ideal cut not premium with a guaranteed light performance and the mounting was $499. That still comes way under the $2200 you described above.

Hi GForce,

A premium cut is a loosely used term to describe a stone that is not ideal cut or they would say it is ideal cut.  It can mean many things.  If you had more info like light performance that could make all the difference.  It is possible to get a diamond that performs like or better than an ideal cut without having to pay a premium, but you would have to have that info.

Do you have any other cut info other than a generic term of premium???

As far as being a VVS2 F or VS1 E, they run about the same per carat because you are just trading a E for F and a VVS2 for a VS1. 

My comparison above is that the loose stone was $1225 and ideal cut not premium with a guaranteed light performance and the mounting was $499.  That still comes way under the $2200 you described above.

When I have the GIA certificate I'll no doubt have some more cut proportion data but for now by premium what I'm told by the seller is that the cut must be at least very good or higher for it to qualify for such name.

The ring mount is being customized hence I guess this costs some extra $$$ if not in more platinum being used then in labor costs to do it.

I take it you're quoting internet prices which are lower than high street prices...?

P.S According to diamond price report in the National Jeweler as of March 1st this year going from a E VS1 .40ct to F VVS2 0.40ct is $2243 Vs $2400 hence the latter still seems around $150 more expensive per a carat.

From what I see a G VVS2 0.40ct would be the same price per carat as a E 0.40ct VS1 or around only $25 difference.

But yes I guess these prices fall or rise on a per diamond basis given its cut value.

On Bluenile it seems to be about $1290-1340 for a very good/ideal cut 0.40ct F VVS2 so their profit margin on these stones seems to be about 10-15% unless they undercut wholesales values.

Actually we are a retail jewelry store. But back to the stone..... have they at least showed you the GIA lab report? You can always run the details past us here once you get the info. Also I wouldn't give anybody any money till I at least see the GIA lab report.

Actually we are a retail jewelry store. But back to the stone..... have they at least showed you the GIA lab report? You can always run the details past us here once you get the info. Also I wouldn't give anybody any money till I at least see the GIA lab report.

They will soon but the stone is currently on its way from NY.

I'll scan in the certificate once I get it.

The stone will have the certificate number lasered onto its girdle.