Diamond Pricing from Diamonds International

rennie109

Do you have an idea if Diamonds International is a legitimate diamond retailer? I was recently on a cruise in the Bahamas. On the ship, we were given a talk on buying diamonds in the Caribbean. We were told that Diamonds International had the best rock-bottom prices, and that the prices were better than in the US. We were guided there on a walking tour. I purchased a round brilliant cut .44 Ct, VS1 clarity, I color diamond for $1,300. The diamond is certified by the EGL for $1,990. I was assured by several people that it was an excellent price. Upon returning home, I looked up diamond prices online, and am extremely upset. Looking at different diamond charts, I could have paid as little as $795-$1,080 for that same diamond. Is Diamonds International a ripoff, or did I really pay a fair price for the diamond? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Without knowing more specifics, it's hard to say for sure whether you got "ripped off".

But, I will go out on a limb and say that there is a high probability that you overpaid. I only say this because, in general, you pay a premium for anything you buy on a cruise ship or an airport or the "duty free" shop. If you want to go on a cruise, then go on a cruise and enjoy that. If you want to buy diamonds, then go online, do your research, find a reputable jeweler, and buy the diamond. Combine the two together and you're suboptimizing both.

Just my 2 cents.