What is a good fit for an engagement ring?

marble530

Hi Everyone.

I just had my engagement ring custom made. The band has diamond channel settings on the side. I love the ring, but I am not sure if the fitting is right. A size 4 was too big and a size 3.5 was too small, so we made it a 3.75. I know, I have really small fingers. Once I get it pass my knuckle, I can rotate the ring aroung my finger. Does this mean it is too loose? I don't want the ring to be too tight either, turning my finger blue. How snugged is a ring suppose to fit? Should I have it resized? Can jewelers make it a tad smaller without cutting the ring? Is there another alternative?

My rings can slide around my fingers too, but are much slower when I get hot. Your fingers increase and decrease in size a lot. I'd recommend wearing it for a few days..even a week or more. You may still feel that way, but you also might just need the time to get used to the way it feels. :)

Princess Tess

I know what you're going through. I've been through many resizings myself, and am still not 100% happy with the fit of my wedding ring.

To make matters worse, as Tess pointed out, fingers change size!! If it's a hot day, your fingers will tend to swell up. On a cold winter day, your rings will slide right off and into the snow where they're impossible to find.

Seems to me that the jewelry industry should come up with a ring that can be adjusted by about 1/2 size by the user on any given day. Anybody want to start a business? :)

Also if you eat alot of salt it can change your finger sizes as well. :) But you should be able to move the ring after it if over the knuckle. Make sure you can comfortably get it back over the knuckle or you may end up with a callus on the knuckle and then you will have to enlarge it more.

Did I miss something? Is Ben the local entrepreneur?

I've solved the callus problem. I never take my rings off! Or at least the ones I'm partial to wearing this year. Of course, I have ahad a few worn bands and ripped gold...... :(

Princess Tess