Got Diamond Questions?
Our community of diamond experts are here to provide answers
Sign in to follow this  
Johnny_Turbo

How Can You Tell if it's Really GIA?

Hey John,

Good question. Firstly *ask* to see the GIA Report itself. If they can't present the original you would at the very least want to see a copy. Upon purchase however you should get the original in your hands and also make sure the diamond is backed with a full refund should you not be happy for any reason.

Secondly you want to bring it as quickly as possible to an accredited independant appraiser and let him confirm that the diamond you recieved is indeed the one on the report.

Before you pull the trigger on a GIA diamond you may want to get additional information on the cut. Ie. knowing the diamonds proportions can help you determine whether the diamond will have acceptable brilliance/fire/scintillation. Unfortunately a GIA Report does not provide these crucial details. To get that information you would need to have a Sarin or OGI analysis done on the diamond which will provide you with proportion information and if you consult an expert on that information you can be guided into a stone exhibiting high brilliance.

Good luck on your hunt.

Regards,

Rhino

<a href='http://www.goodoldgold.com' target='_blank'>www.goodoldgold.com</a>

Hi John,

GIA has two different flavors of reports and have revised their format several times since they started this. You can read about the differences on GIA's page here.

On one type, there is a number etched onto the edge of the stone with a laser that will match the number on the report. On the other type, there is a map of the inclusions that should match up with your stone under magnification. As Rhino points out, this is a common question for appraisers.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

Hi Neil,

I have a question for ya. As an appraiser, do you find onlines listings helpful to your appraisal services? If so, do you consult retail or wholesale listings (rapnet/polygon)?

Hi Neil,

I have a question for ya. As an appraiser, do you find onlines listings helpful to your appraisal services? If so, do you consult retail or wholesale listings (rapnet/polygon)?

Rhino,

Yes, I find them useful.

What listings I check depends on what market I'm considering. In the usual insurance replacement valuations, I use rapnet to find comparable goods because that will be the bottom line of how the insurance company will replace. There are other situations where I want to find an actual retail offer and will go to a retail site. Internet dealers tend to be much more forthcoming about their pricing. Many stores make it very difficult to determine their expected transaction prices because the list prices can be quite different from the selling prices.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA

Thanks for the feedback Neil. I would imagine it would be helpful to you. If you ever have any questions regarding retail pricing on any specialty cuts or super ideals feel free to shoot me an email.

Peace,

Rhino