Got Diamond Questions?
Our community of diamond experts are here to provide answers
Sign in to follow this  
dangemnoinay

appraisal company

Please list all the companies that appraises the diamonds values such as the GIA, IGL, EGL, etc.. from the most expensive diamonds to the less expensive diamonds when the diamond is the same weigh 1carat.

Thanks.

Just to be clear, GIA, AGS, EGL etc...are not appraisers. They are labs that grade diamonds. They'll tell you what the cut is, the color, the clarity, how many inclusions the stone has and give you a diagram of where those inclusions are.

They don't give a value to diamonds, they just report on the particular characterisitics of any one diamond. A certificate from a lab won't tell you what that diamond is worth.

If you are trying to get an idea of diamond price ranges using only one constant, size, you are asking the impossible. There are way too many characteristics to value a diamond besides just it's size.

I don't know if that helps....

-Sparkllvr

"A rose is a rose is a rose. Unless it's a diamond."

Just to undescore sparkl's message -- the price of a 1carat diamond today, according to the Diamond.info "Find Online Jeweler" function, ranges from $1020 for a G/I3 from Abazias.com, to $14952 for a D/IF, also from Abazias.com. Both come with GIA certificates.

To the untrained eye of a consumer who has never seen a diamond before, I would bet that the $1K stone looks the same as the $15K stone. In fact, in the hands of a savvy salesperson, I bet the salesperson could make the $1K stone shine with mere words.

Thank you Sparkl's and Highfly for your help.

I have another set of question...Please help...

If I buy a 1ct diamond color D-IF grading from IGL (independent Gem Lab) and an exact same 1ct diamond from EGL..between these two companies which one of these company has a more reputable name besides the GIA and ASGL. Is the diamond cost from IGL cost more than the EGL? Just like the GIA cost more than any other companies. Assuming that the depth, cut, etc...are the same.

Thanks

According to their website, "Independent Gemological Laboratories is an organization that authenticates and appraises diamonds and other gemstones."

They are supposedly all GIA graduates. However, be sure you understand that many smaller labs have employees trained by GIA. This does NOT mean that you are getting a GIA cert, or even a cert that's comparable to GIA. Smaller labs have their own criteria which their employees must abide by, GIA graduates or not. These criteria are not the same as those of the GIA.

-Sparkllvr

"A rose is a rose is a rose. Unless it's a diamond."

GIA and AGS grade the color-clarity and dimensions of the diamond but do not assign a wholesale or retail price. Be wary of grading labs such as IGI or some of the EGL labs that also supply retail pricings on the diamonds.

You need an appraisal which can be obtained, preferably from an Independent Appraiser, who is not employed by a store or organization. Check the listings for the National Association of Jewelry Appraisers (NAJA) or the Jewelry Judge organization for an independent appraiser in your area.

Barry
www.exceldiamonds.com
@Exceldiamonds on Twitter

Excel Diamonds on Facebook

sales@exceldiamonds.com
1-866-829-8600
1-212-921-0635

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

The reason I asked of an IGL is, I went to a jewelry store and asked for a 1ct diamond with color D clarity of IF, and this jeweler told me that it costs around $6,500 with paperwork from IGL. We did not go into detail about the cut and the dimensions of the diamond. So, how do I know if i'm getting the best price (or approximate price) of a 1ct diamond with color D-IF assuming the cut and the dimension are similar? Is the company that grades the diamond makes it different too as far as the price?

Thanks everyone for your help.

In the trade, IGI lab is known for laxity in color/clarity grading and for being very liberal in their assigned dollar values of the diamond. Their gradings can typically be off by 1-2 grades compared to the GIA. Many Brick & Mortar and Mall jewelers use these Certs for these reasons.

If you are intent on purchasing an IGI graded diamond, make the sale contingent on getting an Independent Appraisal. Insure you're not paying more for less.

If the jeweler balks, walk.

Barry
www.exceldiamonds.com
@Exceldiamonds on Twitter

Excel Diamonds on Facebook

sales@exceldiamonds.com
1-866-829-8600
1-212-921-0635

I just have to reiterate what Barry says. I've looked at enough diamonds as a buyer that I started to get an "eye" for how an IGI compares to GIA. It's amazing how some jewelers try to get you to believe they're the same. Early on, I actually had a jeweler tell me to my face that IGI was just as good as GIA. At the time I hadn't been a diamond shopper for that long, but even back then I knew better.

Just make sure that if you fall in love with a non-GIA stone, you look at comps too, to insure that you are paying LESS than the same stone with a GIA cert. Because for sure you are getting less. :(

-Princess Tess :ph34r:

“Passion makes the world go round. Love just makes it a safer place.”

-Ice T, The Ice Opinion

IGI and IGL aren't the same company. There are probably other companies that share those acronyms as well so be sure you're all talking about the same outfit.

In addition to grading diamonds, GIA runs a college for training Gemologists. Most US gemologists have attended at least one of thier classes. Their graduates can correctly describe themselves as 'GIA trained' or 'GIA graduates' although this in no way constitutes an endorsement by GIA. Each company that issues grading reports can choose to use whatever criteria they wish for their own work. Many will use the GIA grading scales but many will use other approaches. Both EGL and IGI do not use the GIA grading scale although they are similar. I'm not familiar with IGL.

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ISA NAJA