I want to get this exact setting made for a 1.25ct diamond, how much do you think it would cost (excluding the center stone)

Slim

How long is a piece of string? You can find very similar settings e.g. on Blue Nile https://www.bluenile.com/uk/build-your-own-ring/petite-twisted-halo-diamond-ring-in-14k-white-gold_69635 (although in WG) for about $1,500/; add ~30% for platinum and you get somewhere around the $2k mark for a mass-produced setting. If you were to commission a similar ring as a custom-made object by a really good platinum smith you could spend twice as much (and in my opinion get a much better object, but I'm a finishing sucker snob as well as a cut snob). Go to someone with a seriously important name, such as Cartier (although they no longer mount customer-owned stones), and you could spend 10 times as much. And everything else in between.

Bear in mind that in addition to the cost there are other variables at play. Some important ones:

1. How close can the design be to your example, and how important are small deviations for e.g. durability or ease of fabrication - or simply availability in your desired materials?
2. How important is the finish and attention to detail vs. the price? An 'industrial scale' semi-mount can be a lot cheaper, but it won't be made with the same care or to the same standard as something from a top platinum smith.
3. Then again, it will be made consistently to a commercially acceptable quality... whereas individual artisans vary enormously in their skill and experience at making jewellery. Going 'cheap' is often a very expensive road to remaking the object.
4. How much time do you have? Good craftsmen(women) are typically busy, and it could take a few months before your ring is ready, vs. a couple of weeks to order and set a standard design.

• Thanks 1

How long is a piece of string?

Not sure about the length

I already checked this specific one at the Blue nile store and didn't like it coz it's high setting and hallo is below the diamond instead being at the same level as of the center stone.

I contacted one of these guys for it.

1. What do you think would be a good price for the setting to pay them? 

2. Is there anything you would suggest I should make it clear with the jeweler or I should be careful about

Some important ones:

1. How close can the design be to your example, and how important are small deviations for e.g. durability or ease of fabrication - or simply availability in your desired materials?

Yes, Jeweler is gonna send me a pic of the product before working on it

2. How important is the finish and attention to detail vs. the price? An 'industrial scale' semi-mount can be a lot cheaper, but it won't be made with the same care or to the same standard as something from a top platinum smith.

It's important to me for ring to look amazing as in the picture

3. Then again, it will be made consistently to a commercially acceptable quality... whereas individual artisans vary enormously in their skill and experience at making jewellery. Going 'cheap' is often a very expensive road to remaking the object.

agree

4. How much time do you have? Good craftsmen(women) are typically busy, and it could take a few months before your ring is ready, vs. a couple of weeks to order and set a standard design.

Time shouldn't the issue, I've almost 2 months

Edited by Slim

4 minutes ago, Slim said:

Not sure about the length

Erm - to the cost of sounding stupid and patronizing, I feel I should explain that "How long is a piece of string?" is a British expression meaning "You can pick any number and it will be correct". 😄

5 minutes ago, Slim said:

What do you think would be a good price for the setting to pay them? 

I'm not sure that any of those four will make for you something exactly like the one you posted above, unless they have one in their standard designs. As to how much they will charge - way more than Blue Nile (or Blue Nile plus the 'platinum premium'), but I honestly don't know. My expectation is somewhere in the $2.5 to 5k range. Which is pretty broad.

9 minutes ago, Slim said:

Jeweler is gonna send me a pic of the product before working on it

That for me would be a significant issue - in the sense that while it may ensure that the CAD rendering is close enough to what you want, it won't tell you anything about:

a. The manufacturing skills and
b. The actual finished product, as it may deviate from the CAD rendering for a number of reasons (including a. above, but also others)

If they send you a 'real picture' (not a rendering) of the semi-mount, some of those objections go away, but it still only answers whether the design is similar enough.

11 minutes ago, Slim said:

It's important to me for ring to look amazing as in the picture

Well... that depends on your definition of 'amazing'. I don't find any CAD rendering 'amazing' because there is honestly nothing to be amazed about; it could be made to look like anything else with equal rendering precision... but it remains a computer simulation.

13 minutes ago, Slim said:

I've almost 2 months

That probably rules out the 'custom made' route with most people. "Standard" models from a manufacturer's catalogue should be perfectly fine within that timeframe.

2 hours ago, davidelevi said:

Erm - to the cost of sounding stupid and patronizing, I feel I should explain that "How long is a piece of string?" is a British expression meaning "You can pick any number and it will be correct". 😄

Darn, I took that literally :D 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, davidelevi said:

I'm not sure that any of those four will make for you something exactly like the one you posted above, unless they have one in their standard designs. As to how much they will charge - way more than Blue Nile (or Blue Nile plus the 'platinum premium'), but I honestly don't know. My expectation is somewhere in the $2.5 to 5k range. Which is pretty broad.

One of designs of the jeweler has a very similar shank but he will need to add the halo and adjust it. How much should I try to get it to lower down to?

I also tried some local jeweler(https://goo.gl/maps/tnffBT7Kj2Fco6zK6 ), he said he can do it for $3500

Edited by Slim

3 hours ago, davidelevi said:

That for me would be a significant issue - in the sense that while it may ensure that the CAD rendering is close enough to what you want, it won't tell you anything about:

a. The manufacturing skills and
b. The actual finished product, as it may deviate from the CAD rendering for a number of reasons (including a. above, but also others)

If they send you a 'real picture' (not a rendering) of the semi-mount, some of those objections go away, but it still only answers whether the design is similar enough.

I see

3 hours ago, davidelevi said:

Well... that depends on your definition of 'amazing'. I don't find any CAD rendering 'amazing' because there is honestly nothing to be amazed about; it could be made to look like anything else with equal rendering precision... but it remains a computer simulation.

agree

5 hours ago, Slim said:

Jeweler asked for $5k. How much should I try to get it to lower down to?

I also tried some local jeweler(https://goo.gl/maps/tnffBT7Kj2Fco6zK6 ), he said he can do it for $3500

Well... both are within the realm of 'sensible' prices. The question is what you would be paying for in either case: overheads/brand, fabrication/construction method (some methods are significantly more expensive than others), accuracy of work and finish, materials, after sale service? And how much is each of these important for you?

For example, if someone is fabricating all components out of wire vs. using castings (and possibly 3-D printing to make the casting) it will have a significant impact on the amount of labour, and thus the cost of the finished item. There isn't a single 'target' price for the two rings, although 'externally' they may end up looking quite similar.

Can you see real examples of work from both jewellers? That should give you an idea of whether the level of accuracy and finish is where you would like it to be.

I assume those photos were cropped from someone's ad. Didn't they include a price? I ask because I'm guessing your question isn't really about the price of that's ring, it's about the price of a knockoff. That's an importantly different question and one that's all about things like craftsmanship, materials, and finishing work. Tiny details matter and prices will vary a LOT. The cheapest craftsmen are rarely the best, and the best are rarely the best in every situation. You aren't shopping for a ring, you're shopping for a jeweler, and you don't set their prices, they do. The way to get their prices is to ask them and I would be surprised if any of the 4 you listed are going to do much price negotiation with you. Actually, I would be a bit surprised if any of them would even be willing to directly copy someone else's design.  That's considered a bit tack in the community of jewelry designers. 

8 hours ago, davidelevi said:

Well... both are within the realm of 'sensible' prices. The question is what you would be paying for in either case: overheads/brand, fabrication/construction method (some methods are significantly more expensive than others), accuracy of work and finish, materials, after sale service? And how much is each of these important for you?

For example, if someone is fabricating all components out of wire vs. using castings (and possibly 3-D printing to make the casting) it will have a significant impact on the amount of labour, and thus the cost of the finished item. There isn't a single 'target' price for the two rings, although 'externally' they may end up looking quite similar.

Can you see real examples of work from both jewellers? That should give you an idea of whether the level of accuracy and finish is where you would like it to be.

Thanks for all the information, that's very helpful!

• Thanks 1