Need your help choose the diamond

Slim

Appreciate your reply, I would love to know the reason why you picked B for my learning purposes since I've been doing a lot of research about the diamonds in last six months so wanna see if something new I can learn.

I like the crown proportions better (slightly smaller table and slightly shallower angle), but it's marginal. Also the contrast pattern in the video seems very nice; difficult to compare it to the other one, as the lighting is very different, but I'm pretty confident that B is a very nicely cut stone (so is A, but with less evidence to support it, and proportions that are less appealing to me)

• Thanks 1

1. Also, Hearts and Arrows are very distinct in B, that makes it a great diamond, correct? (is that what you mean by contrast?)

whereas A does not have very distinct Hearts and Arrows

2. When you say "proportions that are less appealing to me" regarding A, is that because the table is 58% and crown angle is 36

here are my notes for a brilliant diamond:

• The ideal range for a girdle is Medium - Slightly Thick
  • Table should be between 54-57%
  • Depth between 59.3-62.5%
  • Crown angle between 33-36'
  • Pavilion angle between 40.6-41'
  • Depth to be greater than the table 

I would appreciate if there is something more I can add to my list. Thanks so much! 

I cannot see any hearts or arrows... and neither can anyone else without an H&A viewer 😉

H&A is a very specific cutting symmetry pattern, but it doesn't always make a diamond displaying H&A a great diamond. It's possible that both A and B display it, and it's possible that neither does.

What I mean by contrast is the pattern of very bright and very dark areas alternating within a diamond. The video of diamond B displays a nice contrast 'black star' - which may be an indication that it has H&A symmetry, but it's not necessarily the case. In the video of diamond A there is no such display of contrast, but it's not clear whether that is because of the lighting or because of the stone proportions. Having to choose between the two, I'd rather pick the one that shows something, although in reality (or under different lighting) the other one may be just as nice.

I don't find list of criteria like the one you posted above very useful; it's not that any are 'wrong' by themselves (although the table range is unnecessarily restrictive - perfectly nice diamonds with tables of 52-54% and 58-60%, for example), but it's how the proportions work together that makes a nice diamond nice. Yes, the reason why I (slightly) prefer B is because A's crown is a little steeper and the table is a little larger, but if (say) the table % had been reversed I would still have recommended B, so it's not the 36 or the 58 by themselves; it's how they play with the rest.

On prices - unless the $500 are a big impact on your budget, I'd spend the extra money, but I'm well known for being a cut sucker snob. You can also try to negotiate with JA saying that you are very uncertain between two diamonds, and theirs is more expensive by $500...

• Thanks 1

Also, do you think the price around $10.5K is good for these?

Regarding James Allen, should I ask to negotiate to $10k or $10.25k? (the one you see the diamond is worth for and mostly gonna work)

Edited by Slim

On the H&A images: yeah, somewhat. There is no accepted standard for what "is" and "is not" H&A - this one is not bad, but there are a couple of "faults" that some would consider disqualify it: minor cleaving of a few of the hearts, and an arrow shaft misaligned with its tip. Does it matter? Not to me - my comment re: "not seeing hearts or arrows" was intended in this sense. You won't see the 'hearts' or the 'arrows' without the viewer, and neither will anyone else without one; I really don't know many people that go around with an H&A viewer, and even fewer that will dismantle a ring to check someone else's diamond... 🤪

On the price - I would start at 10k; if they bite, you got yourself an extra $250. If they don't, ask them what's the absolute best they can do; they may go for 10,500 - at that point close at 10,250 or thereabouts. You are eating into their (likely) margin in a fairly significant way, but there is some space there.

Frankly, there isn't an exact pricing point - diamonds are relatively commoditised, but not perfectly. You have a fairly good example in these two: "commercially" they are very much the same; JA is asking a bit of a premium because they (or their supplier) spent some time selecting a particularly good set of proportions and they took a couple of extra images using a reflector viewer. At another vendor, these two may be exactly the same price.

ETA: the price is reasonable for internet-based vendors. It could be significantly more if you were shopping on the high street.

Edited by davidelevi
  • Thanks 1

On 1/13/2022 at 12:35 PM, davidelevi said:

I like the crown proportions better (slightly smaller table and slightly shallower angle), but it's marginal. Also the contrast pattern in the video seems very nice; difficult to compare it to the other one, as the lighting is very different, but I'm pretty confident that B is a very nicely cut stone (so is A, but with less evidence to support it, and proportions that are less appealing to me)

@davidelevi Are you fine with the inclusions Diamond B has? Will it be visible? Also, does it affect the sparkle over time?

Edited by Slim